Honda 15Hp 1998 Stalls while trolling/Idling

MCole

Recruit
Hello, i have a 98 honda 15hp 4 stroke, when i am trolling with it, it is constantly stalling. After it stalls it is hard to start. Motor runs fine when not trolling.<br />A local mechanic suggested that it could be caused by the timing belt being stretched, the belt has about an inch or 1.5 inch of play in it. The belt has no other signs of visible wear but i do not know when it was last replaced as i have only had the motor for one year.<br />Is the timing belt a good place to start or could this problem be more likely related to something else?<br /><br />Thanks

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Honda 15Hp 1998 Stalls while trolling/Idling

Try a can of Sea Foam in your gas. Start with a fresh tank of gas and add according to direc tions. I mixed mine heavy the first couple of tankfuls. It's tune up in a can.<br /><br />lee

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda 15Hp 1998 Stalls while trolling/Idling

I don't think it would be the timing belt. I have a 93 Honda 15 hp w/probably 1500-2000 hrs on it and no problem there. There is an adjustment on the carb itself, maybe speed up the RPMs slightly. There is also a drain screw there, so I would drain the gas and see if there is any junk in the carb. The next tank of gas use a strong blend SeaFoam or Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner with the gas. They work pretty good for doing minor cleaning. Also check the spark plug and see what the gap is on the plugs, maybe close them up a little to see if that helps, sometimes a wide gap will cause idle problems.