Nissan 2-stroke 5HP Lower Unit

oxfordkid

Cadet
I flushed the gear oil out of my lower unit and replaced the impeller. After I bolted the lower unit back up and checked everything out, I don't have reverse anymore. It shifts to it but now the prop is in neutral. I removed the lower unit and checked the shift linkage and sure enough, when the linkage is in the 'reverse' position (all the way down) the prop shaft is not engaged. I pulled the propeller shaft assembly off the lower unit and everyting looks okay, but it appears the clutch or 'dog' doesn't throw far enough now to engage the reverse gear. I know older and smaller outboards were available without a reverse, but this one definitely had one yesterday and I don't have any extra shims or washers left over. Any ideas on what I broke? :confused:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 2-stroke 5HP Lower Unit

When you replaced the wp did you take the lower unit apart?

oxfordkid

Cadet

Not initially. After I replaced the wp, I re-assembled the motor, attached and adjusted the linkage and noticed the problem. I removed the propellor shaft assembly only after me - and several others, were stumped.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

When you put it back together make sure that the shift handle is in the same position as the lower unit. IE, if the handle is in neutral, make sure the prop is in neutral when you attach the shift rod back together. If you still have a problem after that then something has slipped/broke/become lost in the gearcase.

oxfordkid

Cadet

Is there a shim/washer between the bearing and the reverse gear? It would appear this is where the missing part would have been. The slop that now exists allows the prop shaft to move just enough for the dog not to engage the reverse gear. I don't suppose there might be an exploded view of the prop assembly some where available? I just ordered the shop manual on this motor but it won't get to me for a week.

oxfordkid

Cadet

Thank you very much. It appears I am indeed missing a component. The Clutch Spring Holder (Figure 8, Item #17, p/n 36964-2220M). That's very interesting. It must be a loose part. No comes the fun part - ordering it.

oxfordkid

Cadet

That was it. Found it in the bucket I used to catch the old gear oil. Thanks again for the help.