88 Tohatsu M60B - Misc. Noise

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Tohatsu M60B that has developed a strange squeal. It sounds similar to a loose fan belt on a car. It only develops after the engine has had time to warm up and does it sporadically throughout the RPM range. It sounds like it is coming from the engine block and not from the foot, but I have not been able to pinpoint the location. Any idea what this might be? Could the fly wheel be loose?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 88 Tohatsu M60B - Misc. Noise

Squeals on an engine without a belt are usually associated with metal on metal binding. That's always a BAD THING. The flywheel key could have sheared, but unless you hit something in the water it's pretty rare. Sometimes the trigger plate under the flywheel can come loose so you might want to check that.

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice

I did a search in the maintenance and repair forums, and it others have said that you hear this type of noise when the camsahft bearing is beginning to fail. Is this true? If so, is it time to replace the engine? Honestly, I am getting tired of working on the thing.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Since this engine does not have a camshaft that's the one thing you do not have to lose sleep over. It might be crankshaft related, but you will have to tear the engine apart to find out.

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice

Slight slip on the camshaft/crankshaft, whoops. I guess I will start with the fly wheel and do from there. Or maybe i will sell it someone else and let them worry about it. Decisison, decisions. Someone please tell me why I continue to buy things that I have to fix before I can use them. :confused:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Your a masochist...you might want to consider buying a boat dealership.

rayjay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once saw a bad mag side crank seal on a motorcycle cause a bad squeal/screech. Took forever and a factory service school instructor to figure it out.

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you know from experience, Elvin. I think I see why boat dealers are selling used boats on consignment now.

astro1800

Cadet

on a mercury there are little hoses that feed lubricant to the crank bearings. i dont know if the tohatsu has them but if the lines get plugged they will make a squealing noise.