Rev meter from a 30 hp for Honda 40 hp?

oering

Cadet
Hello I bought an original Honda rev meter from a 30 hp and want to use it for my 40 Hp Honda from 1997. On the back of the rev meter there is a plastic switch where I can adjust 6 (or 7?)different positions. at the moment it is set at 1. From my throttle there are three dead cables which obviously are meant for such a case. Which cable do I put to which contact on the rev meter? <br />Any help welcome

oering

Cadet
Re: Rev meter from a 30 hp for Honda 40 hp?

No one can help me with my rev meter question?

jmoser

Seaman Apprentice

If the two motors have the same number of cylinders I cannot see why the switch setting would be different. You are only measuring RPMs, not power or speed.<br /><br />Hook it up and run at full throttle - you should be able to tell if the RPM reading is way way off.

gaugeguy

Captain

Hi Holger,<br />The 30hp has a 4 pole stator so that gives you 2 pulses per revolution, so switch #1 is for 2 pulses. The 40hp has a 6 pole stator (3ppr) so set the switch on the tach to #2.

oering

Cadet

Thank you guys very much. Gaugeguy, do you also know, which cables from my remote control - throttle box (don´t know the right word)has to be attached where (three contacts: signal, plus and minus)). can I use any plus and minus from the battery or do I have to take the ones from the box (there are three unused dead end cables) Sorry for my english, but I don´t know all the technical terms.<br />cheers