Honda 40 Hp dies at full throttle

oering

Cadet
Hello, I have a Honda 40 Hp with the carbs of the 50 hp. The previous owner tried to make it a 50 hp one, but I learned that you need to change the camaxel as well as the electronic box for the ignition as well. Is that correct?. the motor runs fine since I bought it last season, with one problem. When turning the throttle fast to full power the motor takes the gas only delayed or even dies. When turning the throttle slowly with a little bit of feeling it takes the gas fine and reaches full rpm. Now I changed to an original Honda 25 l tank from a smaller tank last season with a thinner fuel hose.<br />The hose with the bigger tank is not original Honda but new and looks fine. The conections to the tank and to the motor are original Honda but not new.<br />Thanks for any help<br />Holger from Berlin

cbhinkel

Cadet
Re: Honda 40 Hp dies at full throttle

The intake valves, ignition control module, camshaft and carburators are the differences between the BF40 and BF50s outboard motors up to 2003. Unfortunately, I found this out after I bought my BF40.....Oh well!<br /><br />You need to adjust your throttle enrichment diaphragm that squirts gas into the motor as you apply more throttle. It's shown in the factory manual on how to do this.<br /><br />-Chris<br /><br />PS. I'll trade you my BF40 carbs for your BF50 ones?<br /><br /><br />QUOTE]Originally posted by Holger from Germany:<br /> Hello, I have a Honda 40 Hp with the carbs of the 50 hp. The previous owner tried to make it a 50 hp one, but I learned that you need to change the camaxel as well as the electronic box for the ignition as well. Is that correct?. the motor runs fine since I bought it last season, with one problem. When turning the throttle fast to full power the motor takes the gas only delayed or even dies. When turning the throttle slowly with a little bit of feeling it takes the gas fine and reaches full rpm. Now I changed to an original Honda 25 l tank from a smaller tank last season with a thinner fuel hose.<br />The hose with the bigger tank is not original Honda but new and looks fine. The conections to the tank and to the motor are original Honda but not new.<br />Thanks for any help<br />Holger from Berlin [/quote]

oering

Cadet

Hi thanks,<br />I think I better keep my carbs (I am based in Germany)never change a winning team. This adjustment thing, is that difficult to do? I´m not sure whether I still have my IfU.<br />Cheers from Germany

designer

Recruit

I have a honda bf30 that wont go over 2400 rpm It dies when you advance the
throttle fast but will go if you advance it slowly. I have cleaned the carbs with seafoam and gumout. taking the plug wire off middle cyln has no effect.
any body have any suggestions other than rebuilding carbs?