Honda 9.9 four stroke direct flush will not....

examiner

Recruit
I just became the new owner of a Honda 9.9 four stroke outboard. The manual gives two methods of fresh water flushing... either by removing the engine and running it in a barrel of fresh water, or using the direct fresh water connection with a hose.<br /><br />Well, I have the fitting needed for the direct connect and hooked it up and turned on the water... result....NOTHING!!!! Just some high pressure leakage around the the hose coupling... nothing coming out of the fresh water intake or the exhaust...<br /><br />When the engine is run normally, I get the required water flow out of the 'p' hole (ie, the motor is 'pissing' as required), but when I hook up the hose to flush, No Joy.... what is the problem???<br /><br />BTW the engine is relatively new, bought in May 2002

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 9.9 four stroke direct flush will not....

We need to know what 9.9 you have.If you are attaching that flusher at the engine with the cover removed ,you have a 9.9D .If you are screwing that flushing device into the gearcase,you have a 9.9A.If you are running a 9.9D while flushing on that device,you will fry your water pump as that fixture is made for static flush only.

examiner

Recruit

It must be a 9.9D, as I hook the flushing device at the engine with the cover removed. I do NOT run the engine at the same time... just do not get any flow thru the engine.<br /><br />Is there a check valve (I would assume there must be to keep the water from coming out of the attachment hole during normal operation) that may be stuck preventing fresh water from entering?

Sailor Jack

Recruit

Newbie here. Just got a 2006 BF9.9A yesterday.
Didn't come with the flush kit or a manual. And the manual
I found on the Internet doesn't give much detail on the flush procedure.
I use it in salt water and intend to flush the motor after every use.

But the only port I can find is the one just above the lower unit.
And that is a nightmare for me since I lift the boat out of water
with a sling and can't get to the damn plug without getting into
another boat to get to it. And I don't have another boat.
Also, I cannot find a flush port on the power head that is reachable
from the stern of the boat.

Would appreciate any expert opinions as to:
1. Assuming I locate a flush kit and mount it properly on the lower unit should the motor be running during the flush?
2. Can I plumb in a hose connection on the power head to make this job easier?
Sailor Jack

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

There are engines which have flushing port at head, at side exhaust cover, lower leg. If thermostat is closed being engine off, will only be doing partial flushung. Check owners manual flushing recommendations as there are engine that just needs to be flushed with engine off, only if you have good water pressure available.

If no flushing kit is available you can flush using ear muffs while engine sits on transom or at a proper engine stand, if you remove flushing port screw often to screw the flushing adapter, most likely will end damaging the engine interior thread. Ear muffs with engine on would be the way to go.

Used to flush my horse through lower leg port with engine on for thermostat to open and flush crankcase well, but neeeded to tape both water pick up screens to avoid unwanted water pressure loss while flushing.

Happy Boating