Honda BF8A or BF100 lower unit removal

bprender

Cadet
I am desperately trying to remove the lower unit on my 8 hp Honda, year 2000. I guess the BF8A and BF100 are the same model. I removed the 5 bolts under the anticavitation plate, and pulled the unit down an inch. It won't come off, since it is still connected to the shifter rod. How do I disconnect it from the shifter. A fast reply would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Also, I tried pulling on it, before I figured out the shifter was connected. The axel going into the prop came out an inch. I pushed it back in. Is there a way to find out if I damaged anything? It looks fine, but I'm new to this whole thing. <br /><br />Also, this is my first time with any kind of motor, and I am trying to replace the impeller without a shop manual. I plan on buying one, but I want to use the engine in the next few days. Does anyone know where I can find intructions to install the new impeller, or do any of you have any tips? Thanks so much.<br /><br />Best - Bryan bprender@uiuc.edu

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF8A or BF100 lower unit removal

OK.Remove the engine cover ,work the shifter a few times and look at what makes it work.Then gather together a 12 mm and 10 mm wobbley socket,a set of needle nose pliers and visegrips and a good deal of patiance.Shift the unit to reverse,then remove the neutral saftey switch and remove the bolt that retains the sheild that makes it operate.Then remove the bolt that retains the shift clevis and slide the shift lever out and away .Next ,get that socket down there and remove that springing thing with the roller on it.Now take the needle nose visegrip and lock it onto the pin at the top of the shift shaft and with the pliers remove the cotter pin.Now ,while counting the number of turns,unscrew the top of the shift shaft and WALLA.

bprender

Cadet

Hondon - Your advice was absolutely amazing. One problem. I got off the lower unit, removed the impeller housing and gaskets, and the thing underneath that all (it looks like a rubber donut with some metal in it) is stuck like glue. It is either melted in, or is stuck in with salt water. Do you have any advice on removing that? <br /><br />Thanks again - Bryan

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Sure.Now that the housing is off ,that stubby little square driveshaft will pull right out of that gearcase with the drain plugs removed.Try and keep things upright and stationary while you pull that thing out.After that set the shaft /impeller combo in a vise or pipe or whatever that will allow you to give the top of that shaft a few good wallops with a SOFT HAMMER,!!!, while allowing that impeller to slide up and over the top of the shaft.

pondhopper

Seaman Apprentice

To expand on hondons great advice...<br />The donut with the metal can be taken out with a pliers or skinny vicegrip (you will ruin the gasket when doing this make sure you have a replacement part.) If you have the standard honda impeller kit you should have a new one available. I had a tough time gettin mine out too. You can replace it by gently pounding the new one in. I would use a rubber hammer. Another thing to look for... The gasket you rip out will probably come out in two pieces. The metal ring and then the rubber.<br /><br />When putting the shaft in the vicegrip, be careful not to damage the shaft. Use a rag to keep the teeth from leaving marks.