Nissan 8hp Lower Unit

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, My friend took the lower unit off his Nisan and can't get it back on. :p Anyone got some tips? Is the shift rod supposed to be pulled out of the lower unit or disconnected higher up? It fells like it's jamming at the shift rod or the drive shaft.<br />Thanks<br />Eric

oxfordkid

Cadet
Re: Nissan 8hp Lower Unit

Did you ever get your lower unit on? If its like mine, the shaft for the gear shift has to pass through a hole in the upper assembly in the back.

phatmanmike

Captain

it usually helps if you have somebody rotate the flywheel slowly while you push up on the lower unit.<br /><br />some times the driveshaft isnt exactly lined up with the teeth in the crankshaft.<br /><br />and yes, your lower unit shift rod needs to be paid close attention when putting it back in.<br /><br />jst go slow and get a friends help. no real secrets here, just patience.<br /><br />mike<br /><br />peace

dcdunbar

Cadet

not sure if this thread is still active but thougth I'd try anyway. Did you ever get you lower unit back on. I've tried for hours and cant seem to get the thing to line up or slide into the gear housing. Not sure what else to try... Is there are problem with the gear shift lever that I am not seeing or do I just need a bit more coersion to get the lower unit back on. Maybe I'm heading for a dealer but, being an engineer, I hate to have mechanical devices win...
thanks in advance