2004 Honda BF135

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the market for a new boat and the Boston Whaler dealer here said he would swap out the Mercury Optimax 135 for a leftover 2004 BF135 on the boat I'm looking to buy. I will have to pay an extra $2000 for this motor swap and have a week to decide. I've owned Honda outboards before and have had no problems with them at all. The only concern I have is that it is the first year of this particular model (along with the BF150). Does anyone here own a new BF135 or BF150 or know anyone who does? I've read great reviews of these new motors but was hoping to get first (or second) hand info on this motor. Might there be a problem with buying the first year model of this motor?

D

DJ

Re: 2004 Honda BF135

I wouldn't worry about the "first year" thing.<br /><br />I would be concerned about weight though. How does the Honda compare to the Opti, weight wise?<br /><br />You may want to check with Whaler to see what the maximum weight they recommend for the stern of that particular boat.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2004 Honda BF135

I know the Honda is a somewhat unproven motor, but Optis have a horrible track record regarding longevity. The Honda's reliability has yet to be proven, but the OptiMax has a long track record of UNreliability. Comparing the reputations of the two companies and all other considerations being equal, I wouldn't buy the Opti unless speed was the sole deciding factor. :(