increasing power output of honda 40 4 stroke

bolgo

Recruit
bought a newish 2nd hand tinny(quintrex coast runner 4.55) with above engine<br />engine has 72 hrs<br />boat used to pull a "donut" with kids on and a bit of skurffing, occasional offshore runs to surf destinations<br /><br />are there ways of increasing the power out put<br />eg reconfig efi unit, power chips etc?<br />using PULP ?any all above or other<br /><br />i notice specs of 50 similar to 40 ie egine size etc, some said just differet states of tune, is this correct? if so is this a dealer issue?<br />any comments appreciated

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: increasing power output of honda 40 4 stroke

bolgo,<br /><br />You can turn the 40 into a 50, but it going to cost about 2 grand to do so. The 40 is not a de-tuned 50. They share the same block but have different heads and cams. The valves are also bigger on the 50. Can it be done?...yes. Is is cost effective...no.<br /><br />I have the same engine and asked the same question years ago. It is cheaper to trade the 40 in on a 50.<br /><br />If you want a bit more power, I'd recommend making sure the engine height is mounted correctly, so the cavitation plate is just level with the bottom of the boat. Also, switching to a hi-perf Stainless steel prop will help too. I have my '00 40 tiller on a 400 pound, 16 ft aluminum modified V john boat, with a 13" ballistic SS Prop and I'm GPS'ing around 33mph wide open. I cruise comfortably at 25. When I was "out of the box", aluminum prop, and incorrect engine height, I could only reach 29 mph wide open.<br /><br />You'll love the engine. Its a great little beast.<br /><br />Nav :cool: