Honda 9.9 Remote Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

blewispunk

Recruit
I've got a 1999 Honda 9.9 4-stroke on my sailboat and wanted to get a remote for easier control from the cockpit. Well I just found and bought one on Ebay but now that I have it and I won't be able to get to the boat for about a month to install it I'm a little concerned either it won't work with my motor or that I'll need some additional parts/pieces to install it. Here's the remote I purchased:<br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4520278477&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT <br /><br />My only concern is I downloaded the manual for my motor at hondamarine.com and it has a supplement with info on the remote control and in that section the pictures look like there is a bar connected to the shifter on the motor that shifts it from neutral to forward or reverse. <br /><br />This shifter does not have a bar that would run back to the motor... any input on this would be much appreciated! The manual shows operation of the unit but not installation... that's the part I need (hopefully it doesn't show installation because it's really just as easy as plugging the unit in, but now I'm worried).<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Brent

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Honda 9.9 Remote Control

You need to go to a Honda dealer and get a remote conversion kit. That has the hardware that you need to hook everything up. Last time I checked they were running around $300.00, including the steering link arm.

blewispunk

Recruit

Hey Elvin,<br /><br />Thanks for the quick response.<br /><br />Do I need that remote conversion kit even if I'm not trying to control the steering? I just want the remote to control throttle and shifting...<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Brent

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You can buy the individual pieces from a dealer that you need for around $175.00

fishthewhaler

Recruit

your 2 shift/ throttle cables should screwr into the linkage connectors at the ends of the shifter linkage that bolts to the side of the engine. If your shifter has one lver, itcontrols both the shifting and the throttle. check your diagram in your manual, or on this site under the parts section

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats fish.

I would hope the guy has this fixed since it's a 5 year old post. Please feel free to read the archives, but don't reply to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.