Nissan 1988 70 hp

Rush Creek

Recruit
I have the opportunity to buy a 1988 Nissan 70 hp 2 cyl on a 15 foot Stinger with a decent trailer. the owner indicates that her deceased husband bought it shortly prior to his death and it has only about 10 hours. She is a truthful person and I believe that part. I looked under the cowling and it looks brand new. I do not know anything about these motors. I want to put it on a 17'56" MV F&F. Is it a good motor? Any fears or pitfalls? I now have a 1985 Mercury classic 50 45 hp that runs very good. Should I leave well enough alone. Help. please respond here or to major_major@bellsouth.net<br /><br />rush creek

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Nissan 1988 70 hp

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />They're not terribly common around here. But I did mount one on a bassboat and it was back about 1989. It seemed like a nice motor. If the price is right, it sounds like a good deal. You should be cautious of varnished carbs. If that hasn't been run much for a few years, then the carbs might have to be disassembled and cleaned. I take it your boat is rated for at least 70Hp?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Solid engine, but check the compression, gear oil and for fire before purchasing.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elvin, do you mean check for fire damage? Is that quite common? Or by fire do you mean spark?