Help Please!! Honda 8 - Oil in exhaust!!!

g.weyward

Recruit
I have a honda 4 stroke motor on my sailboat. When I'm done sailing I'll sometimes tilt it at an angle in its mount start it for a second as a crude way of flushing it with salt water and shut it off within like 10 seconds as not to overheat it. However last time I did this, a whole bunch of oil came out of the exaust. Does anyone have an idea as to whether something is wrong with my motor, or if its just because I ran it in the tilted position? What if something is wrong, what goes wrong for oil to be in the exhaust? (coming out the hole where the raw water cooling pumps out? Suggestions please? Maybe I shouldn't flush in this fashion?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help Please!! Honda 8 - Oil in exhaust!!!

Welcome to the forum, <br /><br />No idea what the oil is. But get ready for a beatin on the flush method (big no no)...... Good Luck.<br /><br />Oh ya, also, I might as well be the first to ask- Got Manual?

g.weyward

Recruit

What's so wrong with the flush method, what part of the motor does it harm? Manual? I have the owner's manual if that's what you're refering to, its pretty basic. Its a pull start .. maybe that's what you mean by manual. The boat is kept in the water, and I don't have ears for it, is the way I'm flushing not better than not flushing at all? Anyway does anyone know why all that oil might have come out of the exhaust? Since that happened I have not turned it on to see if it'd happen again.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The way you are "flushing " this engine will destroy your water pump and leave you with an overheated engine.NEVER,and I do'nt use that word lightly,run a water cooled outboard without some sort of water source to the pump that is at the top of the gearcase.If the engine has been moved and not laid down in the correct manor,oil in the cylinders.An engine with the tilt pin adjusted too far in will give you a little oil in the cylinders and some smokey starts.I have never tried to fire one of these things off when tilted up ,but why would I?The engine wo'nt run right and you get the kinds os situations you find yourself in.Are you sure that slick is oil and not gasoline?

If you truly are getting oil out of the raw water outlet, then that would suggest a crack in an oil passage that runs near a raw water passage. Even when only run for a few seconds, an already warm motor can quickly get too hot with no cooling water, and repeated cycles of this can cause hairline cracks. Check the oil level, tilt it into the water and try starting it again. See if you get the same results. If it gets worse, don't run it at all.