Honda 15 water in exhaust

Stiletto444

Recruit
I'm new and not sure where to post this. I just purchased a 2000 Honda 15 (previous owner/mechanic changed it from 9.9 to 15) engine runs good, checking it out before I put it on my boat. I noticed water comes out from the exhaust port at the top. Not much, just wets the housing and drips some. Is this normal? I purchased a manual and as best determined that water is injected in exhaust to cool? Is this correct? <br />Thanks,<br />Clayton

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda 15 water in exhaust

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />The water that cools the motor dumps into the exhaust cavity and most of it goes out below the waterline. On it's way it cools the exhaust passages. Some spray will come out of the backpressure relief port on the back. At least that's an educated guess. I haven't worked on one of those specifically yet, but that's pretty much the norm.

Stiletto444

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping that is the case. Everything else is running ok so far. I like to run it in a tank before putting it on my boat as the boat sits in the water and not easy to get to the motor.

gss036

Commander

I run a Honda 15 hp, never paid any attention, but there must be water coming thru the upper exhaust because I get a salt build up sometimes on the lower end. I had to put in a hotter thermostat to get the temperature up so I would not get gas build up in my oil.