Tohatsu M50D - How do you bleed oil pump?

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a used 1995 Tohatsu M50D. I drained all the oil out of the oil reservoir because I was told not to mix the oil. I now need to bleed the air out of the line. I know there is a screw on top of the oil pump that is used for bleeding air but what is the actual procedure? Do you run the engine or pressurize the oil lines or???<br /><br />I bought the Tohatsu service manual but it is VERY skimpy on details. It says:<br />1- Fill the oil tank<br />2- Loosen the bleeding screw<br />3- Bleed the air<br />4- Retighten screw<br /><br />Does the air bleed out all by itself?

crab bait

Captain
Re: Tohatsu M50D - How do you bleed oil pump?

i have a nissan 40 .. exactly the same motor..<br /><br />i had/did the same problem.. i also have the same book.. i did like the book says an it never got any oil pumping..<br /><br />what i did after that was :: i took off the in-cominig hose an stuck a 'trigger air nozzle' of my aircompressor in the hose an blew ALITTLE AIR thru with the bleeder screw cracked open.. <br /><br />got 'flow'.. closed screw.. good to go..

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

That's interesting. I was tempted to do the same thing. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I sure wish the Tohatsu service manual would have been more detailed. I bought a service manual for an old Johnson 2 stroke I/O from the mid-60's and it was three inches thick. I rebuilt the motor using that book. Very detailed with step by step instuctions and clear illustrations.<br /><br />I thought I could use the Tohatsu service manual to replace the water pump impeller and pull the prop shaft. No chance. The manual is almost worthless.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

The air compressor did the trick!

crab bait

Captain

i'm with ya on that manual ..it is useless.. it's not for 'joe public'.. only for pro's.. <br /><br />glad i could help..

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Nissan/Tohatsu service manuals are long on some details and really skimpy on others. As Crab Bait indicated, they are designed to be used by Techs that have been to service school. They are useful as guides, but they usually do not go into step by step detail on procedures. More like a step by skip, skip, skip, step, skip, skip step.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

I was just used to the other service manuals I've bought over the years for various cars/trucks/engines, etc. Those manuals had detailed, high quality photos with detailed instructions. There was enough detail to literally replace/repair any part of the vehicle (automatic transmissions, AC pumps. etc) using those service manuals. If you had the right tools an idiot could do just about anything if you followed the instructions carefully. That's why I bought them. Of course they usually cost $50-$75 so I suppose I shouldn't have expected much for $20.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I could not agree with you more. Oddly enough some of the Nissan/Tohatsu manuals are highly detailed, well written and of good quality. All of the manuals for engines designed since the late 90's are actually pretty good. But, about a half dozen manuals are in the same vein as the 50D manual.