HONDA 130 HP

jason pegden

Cadet
Hi i have a honda bf130hp 2001 model i have recently fitted it to my donzi centre consul boat,i had i ruuning recently iot ran perfectly,i then ran it out of fuel and left it for a few weeks,i went to it the other day and refuelled it, it would not start it turned ok but would not fire i checked the plugs no fuel was getting through and there did not seem to be a spark.is there an air lock,i think the ecu unit is ok because the pgm fi panal is reading ok.what is the problem any suggestions.many thanks jason

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: HONDA 130 HP

Did you pump the primer bulb until it got firm?Did you open the fuel tank vent if you are useing that sort of tank?What else has happened between those happy runs and the panic we have now?Is the lanyard in the switch?

jason pegden

Cadet

Yes the lanyard switch is in ,the fuel bulb is fully primed,fuel is getting in as i can see fuel in the pipes and the filters.could it be a short in the lanyard(this is new),the local honda dealer said that worst case senario is that the on board computer is broken,but the pgm fi panel is working as normal.the engine just turns there is no attempt to fire.

jason pegden

Cadet

just another thought i replaced the tilt and trim sender but this is the only thing i have done to the engine,the tank is an inboard and there does not seem to be any problems with that,fuel is getting in but does not appear to be getting passed the injectors.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

When you turn the key on ,do you hear the electric high pressure pump running momentarily?

jason pegden

Cadet

Hi Hondon ,yes i can hear that running,i am led to believe that if these pumps are run out of fuel they can go down,but it appears to be working,is it possible that the ecu is down as there is no fuel getting into the cylinders as the plugs were dry so im assuming that the injectors are not pumping i cant think what else it could be.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

It could be alot of things. In my experiance,no electric fuel pump loves a dry run.I have not had to change a failed ECU on one of these units unless it was sunk and do'nt know of anyone else needing to do so_Order the seals for the output side of that vapor seprator and input side of the fuel rail ,Then do the pressure test.

jason pegden

Cadet

Hi Hondon i think this is the problem i spoke with my local honda dealer apparently the 130s were recalled at some stage as the high pressure pumps were faulty if run out of fuel.so as mine was never recalled they are going to replace the pump under waranty.Thankyou for all your advice and i will be using this site again.

jason pegden

Cadet

just a quick question,how economical are the honda 130s,i am going to use it for wakeboarding and sea fishing.cheers jp

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Depends.<br />On your boat;<br />On your speeds;<br />On your boat load;<br />On your board load;<br />On your trolling use and speed;<br />On any currents;<br />On the weather;<br /><br />and so on. No one can tell you your exact "economy" (a boating oxymoron?)except you, after lots of use. If you want to torture yourself, get a fuel flow gauge (Navman or Flo-Scan) and then you'll keep an accurate record.

jason pegden

Cadet

hi,<br /> Sorry , silly question.I have have a donzi centre consul its only 18ft but it is really heavy, must be about 2 tonnes that is why they are so good at sea,i have never used it with the honda it had a yamaha 130 2 stroke before so iam expecting a huge difference in economy,i am after a stainless propeller any suggestions on type or make?

yubbie

Cadet

DO YOU HAVE THE UPGRADED FUEL SYSTEM ? ALSO CHECH YOUR FUSES. IF YOU HAVE FUEL PRESURE, THE ENIGINE TURNS OVER, LANYARD CLIP IS ON, YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR MAIN RELAY CHECKED, IF YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE SPARK, THEN YOU SHOULD BE GETTING INJECTOR SIGNAL AS THEY BOTH GET THEIR SIGNAL FROM THE PULSER COIL (INJECTOR AND SPARK FIRE AT THE SAME TIME). YOU COULD ALSO DRAIN THE VAPOR SEPORATOR AND FILL IT AGAIN USING PRIMER BULB, UNTILL IT GETS HARD. LAST I WOULD TRY ANOUTHER CONTROL BOX, AND CHECK THE HARNESS CONNECTOIN AT THE MOTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS.

yubbie

Cadet

Originally posted by yubbie:<br /> DO YOU HAVE THE UPGRADED FUEL SYSTEM ? ALSO CHECH YOUR FUSES. IF YOU HAVE FUEL PRESURE, THE ENIGINE TURNS OVER, LANYARD CLIP IS ON, YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR MAIN RELAY CHECKED, IF YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE SPARK, THEN YOU SHOULD BE GETTING INJECTOR SIGNAL AS THEY BOTH GET THEIR SIGNAL FROM THE PULSER COIL (INJECTOR AND SPARK FIRE AT THE SAME TIME). YOU COULD ALSO DRAIN THE VAPOR SEPORATOR AND FILL IT AGAIN USING PRIMER BULB, UNTILL IT GETS HARD. LAST I WOULD TRY ANOUTHER CONTROL BOX, AND CHECK THE HARNESS CONNECTOIN AT THE MOTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS. ONE MORE THING THE NEW SYSTEM HAS A FILTER IN THE HIGH PRESURE PUMP.

jason pegden

Cadet

hi,<br /> The engine is with the honda dealer and he is still unsure what the problem is.There was originally a wire melt down at the key switch end which melted the starter fuse,the engine has only turned and still only turns and does not fire,the dealer has replaced the ecu and various solenoids and sensors,when the dealer tested the system the pgm flashes 6 times to say that there is still a problem,i bought the engine in this condition and foolishly did not hear it run,there is a warranty until jan 2007 the dealer does not know at this stage if all this work is covered by it.There is no spark and the injector rail does not work,so there is a wiring fault somewhere and is a matter of running through the whole system,the key switch harness has been replaced so the problem is in the wiring in the engine itself,the fuel pump is working ok and is reaching the correct pressure and the lanyard is on as the engine will turn,the fuses have all been replaced.Any ideas guys

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being that neither the fuel injectors nor the coils seem to work, I get the feeling that the ECM is never getting a speed signal from the crank position sensor,or Cam position sensor whichever is used. Might be a good idea to test for that kind of fault.Does your tach read anything while it's cranked?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

If that MIL is flashing in the test mode and your dealer can not figure it out, it is time for a new dealer.Ask him if he can show you the manual for your engine or if you could see some credentials of the tech he has working on your investment.With the proper tools and training interprupting those warning lights is a piece.

jason pegden

Cadet

He has just completed a honda course with honda themselves but he has been working on outboards for years,he is liaising with honda very closely and they are advising him to go through a process of elimination by going through the wiring system bit by bit.But the bill is mounting up and im hoping that the warranty will cover it,but honda will not say at this stage if the warranty will cover it as they have to find the problem first,all i can say is that there has been a major wiring problem somewhere.when i got it there was a wire melt on the key switch harness,i changed this and the engine started and ran a number of times in the yard,i came to it a few days later and it just turned and would not fire,so something has happened between running it and then just turning,took it to the dealer and the ecu had gone down and several sensors which have all been replaced,the only thing that is different is that when you turn the key to ignition position you get two beeps.then on the pgm 6 flashes(on test mode)then another six flashes.so something is not working or there is a wire short somewhere.sorry but this is all i know.

d.a.l

Cadet

IMHO the tech should not be learning HOW to fix your engine on YOUR DOLLAR. When you bring a motor to a dealer I would assume they have the necessary skills to fix it. You should not be paying for his Honda apprenticeship or at least get the work done on a prefered rate while he is working - learning - how to solve your problem. <br />Don.

jason pegden

Cadet

Yeah totally agree with you,only trouble is here is sunny norfolk(england)the next dealer is hundreds of miles away and my trailer will fall apart way before then.Is it possible that this could be covered by the warranty?my book has full service history and was supposed to have been serviced by a main dealer before i purchased the engine(although i bought this from a private individual),i have the stamp in the book .If you guys can offer any ideas it would really help as i am getting to the end of my teather,if anyone else works on it who is not a honda dealer this will invalidate the warranty

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It may be covered under warranty if the engine is still within the Honda warranty period. But, your dealer, in conjunction with Honda, makes that determination. Fuel related problems are almost always not covered under warranty. Almost all electrical problems are covered.