To buy or not to buy.... Honda BH8A w/o serial no. plate

JimIvey

Recruit
I probably already know the answer to this, but I'd like advice anyway.<br /><br />I have a chance to buy what appears to be a clean, nice-running Honda BH8A, long shaft for what appears to be a good price ($300-400). The only short-coming is that it has no serial number plate.<br /><br />I'm aware of the ethical implications and I'm grappling with that, but some of the posts I've seen here say that you can't get the right part without the serial number. Ethics aside, would I be buying an entirely unserviceable motor?<br /><br />Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Not to be impatient but I have only about a week to decide.<br /><br />Many thanks in advance.<br /><br />Best regards,<br /><br />Jim

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: To buy or not to buy.... Honda BH8A w/o serial no. plate

Not entirely unservicable,but think about it....<br />Call me for parts,and I ask what is it.BH8A doesn't go too far.<br /><br />Most Johnson/Evinrude motors as well as some Merc's have a core plug on the engine with model and serial numbers.<br /><br />As for Honda,I just don't know.<br />DHP

JimIvey

Recruit

Thanks for your perspective. I'm inclined to pass on the motor, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference if I bring the old part or the whole engine into a service place. Does that help much? <br /><br />From what I remember from my teenage years (think lowered VW bugs in the early 80s), it's hard enough to get the right part even when you have all the right information. And bad things happen when one forces the wrong part into place.<br /><br />Thanks again!<br /><br />Jim

DHPMARINE

Captain

Bringing in the part or motor will help in some cases.But say you need a forward gear.All my forward gears are by part number in my inventory,and on different shelves.I don't have a "bin" of forward gears to sort thru.I may have a hunch that will bail you out,but not always.<br />DHP

rowbards

Cadet

Honda has a frame # that is missing on yours along with a engine # on the block. You should have no prob getting parts with that...<br /><br />hope this helps...

mjbrueck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something else to consider. You've just posted on an international forum that you're contemplating buying a motor you think is probably stolen. If in fact it is, and you are the one possessing it when it's discovered, you better hope that:<br /><br />1. Noone in your local law enforcement looks at this website.<br />2. The true owner of the motor doesn't look at this website.<br />3. The true owner's mechanic/dealer/neighbor/father in law... doesn't look at this website.<br /><br />I may be wrong, but I don't think a bill of sale will offer you much protection if law enforcement can prove that you were aware what you were buying was probably stolen.<br /><br />So how much is it worth now? I've had a small outboard stolen before, and I'd appreciate it if there wasn't a market for motors that are obviously hot.