2000 Honda 90 HP 4 Stroke service

garyS - NJ

Recruit
My friend's motor is getting hard to start & sometimes real hard (usually when we're far out). I'm in charge of the mechanical stuff but don't know outboards. It's been run 3-4 seasons w/o any maintenance except oil changes. Besides new plugs & air/fuel filters, what should I be doing on the motor (and is there any online info, I couldn't find jack). I read about adjusting valves something said lash goes down as hrs go up (I know it's overhead cam but no hydraulics??.<br /><br />oh & he don't have a manual.<br /><br />any help thanks.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: 2000 Honda 90 HP 4 Stroke service

After that amount of time, a service done by a shop is much easier and cheaper than fiddleing and fixing and end up taking it in anyway. Those newer Hondas aint like the old 2 strokes. Lots of sensors and whatnot...I'd let a Pro do it.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Certainly true. I am the first to pick up a shop manual and tinker with something new. I just don't bother anymore with stuff I am unfamilair with though; especially when it comes to diagnosing something. With the complexety of today's ICE, experience counts for so much.<br />So far as your motor is concerned, I have the same one and year. FYI, there are several TSB's for that engine, some quite serious, such as bad seals allowing water into the gearcase and intake manifold screens coming loose and lodging into the carbs amd impellor's breaking. There is also one that concerns hard starting and stalling under heavy acceleration - something to do with a vaccuum device.<br />Those aside, carbs need to be sync'ed, valves adjusted, and for heaven's sake, check your gearcase oil! I too suffer from hard starting occassionaly, but only when cold but I know of few with the same engine that have similiar problems.<br />One more thing you might want to check that happened to me. With the hood off and dead centre in the front of the motor is an arm on a roller switch - it is a neutral safety switch for starting. I have had the nut come right off leading to being unable to start the motor. An obvious and quick fix, fortuneately, but an even quicker maitenance check. Good luck.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Hard starting warm is pretty much indicative of a tight valve.Those valves need attention anyway so jump in there and adjust away. No advice or shortcuts for that bottom set of intake valves.They are a pain to get to with a feeler gauge.If you are idleing nicely carb sync is likely not an issue.Are you useing a water separator?Binacle or side mount control and who made it?

garyS - NJ

Recruit

thanks all!<br /><br />I beat it up this weekend and it fired nicely after warm. Not completely done though. gotta get some cold starts and restarts after running for some time. I think my problems offshore have been related to water in the gas. we have an inline filter seeparator (that i've bled water off) and a factory inline filter in the engine case (that I removed & shook the water out of to get it started once). I think if we really watch the gas we'll be 99% there. changing both filters.<br /><br />I did adjust the timing belt, and check the valve lash (still in factory spec!) and change the plugs. And of course, he's been changing the oil, oil filter, & lower lube. I'm gonna run some carb cleaner in the gas & try spraying the carb insides along with chging the air filter. Otherwise if it works, that's it! (not brok, no fix). I will get the TSB's (where??) and look at that neutral sending switch.<br /><br />thANKD AGAIN,<br /><br />garyS - NJ