50 hp honda tiller 2005 pilot screw & se system

gsp

Cadet
i have honda shop manual but don't understand how se works.i have 48 hours on motor and have stalled a few times. black plugs when checked,then it clears up.i have done all maintenance.pilot screw adjusts air or fuel?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 50 hp honda tiller 2005 pilot screw & se system

I am guessing that you are refering to the self enrichening aspect of this engine .If you are electric start,that enrichening process is controlled by a thermal conductor mounted to the top carb and controling cold start enrichening or choke if you will to all cylinders.Are you idleing in spec for this engine ?Idle should be 950+-50 and these triples like the high end of that spec For the trollers and jets up here in the northwest I generally set that idle at 1100.That pilot screw adjusts the AIR/FUEL mixture so the answer is both.

gsp

Cadet

On the pilot screw, which direction is leaner? On the se system,what tells it to go on and off and how? Should there be a high idle? The tubes that go to the other carbs after se valve do what? Could high winds be a problem,two of the times it stuck on rich mode it was very windy both in harbor and on lake Michigan,dangerous,it was even stalling in neutral. The idle is set at 980 in neutral warm. I troll so I want it slow as possible. I cant take to a dealer if not broken. How do these motors start in cold weather? 2005 model bf50a5lhta Thanks for any help

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

So I would gather from the model number given that you are an electric start tiller with power tilt.Is that correct?The enrichening proccess works by virtue of a ceramic heat sync solenoid that controls the amount of fuel drawn into the manifold in a cold start situation.If you lift the fast idle lever you will put that S/E ,as you put it ,in defautlt.Same with trying to squeeze this engine before it is warmed up.How are you propped? If you are lugging this thing at wide open you are lugging it every where else.That will lead to the plug fowling you describe.Clockwise is lean .

gsp

Cadet

Yes this is an electric start tiller with power tilt.It has no lever.I do let it warm up without moving the throttle from start position.I have never noticed a high idle. I have two props 13" and 14" in stainless 5800 and 6050 rpm and this has happend with both. My dealer did not want me over 5500 rpm. I also tested 14" aluiminum and 15" stainless but returned them. The dealer did install the tiller handle on this outboard and two bolts were not tight [half out] and I tightened. So when I told them I had an occational problem they said let it break in 20 hours.So after 20 hours I got my manuals did maintenance and checked linkages. This enrichment sticking happened a couple more times in 28 more hours. I tested the s/e valve with ohm meter and was good. After reading manual again the s/e valve gives extra fuel for about 5 minutes with no high idle or sensors?

JimCobb

Cadet

Gsp, I have had s/e valve problems but different from your problem, engine was very very hard to start. After dealer replaced one s/e, for, hard starting. The problem again returned in just a few hours. A Honda Tech Rep was brought in, he modified an 'o ring' involved with the mounting of s/e valve. Made it, the s/e valve higher off it's original position and engine has been fine since. They told me Honda is going to issue a service bulletin with a factory fix soon.

gsp

Cadet

I took my boat in, told the dealer to take his time I just want it to run right, and 9 weeks later I got it back. I told them it started hard and idled rough, high and low. They installed a washer on the carburetor enrichener circuit and synchronized carbs. When I asked why the paint was not broken on ajustment screws they told me most of the time they are within specs and mine was. I called honda while it was at the dealer about the icm, they had the dealer call tech line about mine and it was okay. When the ice melts in 3 months something tells me when I take it out it will start better but still run rough. There were no service bulletins or recalls on icm or s/e valve as of 10/23/04. I found the problems out through this forum,I called honda, they told me the 5 dealers I called should not have checked online but called the tech line. The tech line is for dealers only.