Installing 2004 Honda BF50

d.a.l

Cadet
I've just purchased a Honda BF50 and I have decided to install it myself since the dealer wanted $400 to $500 min. to do this. I am very mechanically inclined and I was wondering if anyone here would have any guidence, sugestions, tips etc. Control cable length or amount of slack might be of concern. Also the old motor has a plywood spacer between the motor mount and the transom. Would the new motor require this or just mount directly against the fiberglass transom? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Don

PlanB

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Installing 2004 Honda BF50

If the new control is located where the old one was, you might use the old cable length to use as a guide for a new cable. Also, the old cable might fit the new controls. If you buy the cable from a local dealer who keeps cable in stock, they will normally take a return if it is in the box and like new.<br /><br />Not knowing anything about your transom, but in general, the plywood spacer is probably there to provide support to spread the engine load on the transom. Also note that the Honda is probably 100lbs heavier than an equivilent horse power 2 stroke.