Honda 1991, 45hp, 4 stroke. Runs then dies to idle

G Martin

Recruit
Within 3 months after purchasing this engine,(bought new in 91, had to be taken to honda dealership for repair. Were told the oil screens were clogged. Has been in shop three times for this. This engine runs great until it dies to an idle from full speed, green light stays on with oil pressure good reading. Have a friend that has a 1998 90hp honda, and he had disabled a sensor in the throttle control box that caused his to do the same thing, (die to an idle). Need help on this one, please resopnd. thanks. G Martin

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 1991, 45hp, 4 stroke. Runs then dies to idle

First of all ,What do you have?8,9.9 ,15 ,what ,what what?You have been living with this problem for 13 years and now it is a major issue?What gives?

G Martin

Recruit

Sorry, it is a 45. Used it for three years and then parked it in the garage, used the 29hp yanmar diesel. A good engine that is if you can stand the smell of diesel fumes. Bought a new mercury 50 4 stroke in 2001. No, havent been using the honda, gave it to my brother to use on his dura craft creek boat. Again sorry I did not specify the hp on the honda. Thank you for your reply, if you can help me now knowing the hp of the engine. Thanks, Greta

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have a friend with twin 45's. One time when we were out fishing, one of 'em died. He could restart, but it wouldn't run above idle speed. After we got home on the other engine, we found that the one that died had a tiny piece of debris clogging one carb's main fuel tube. G Martin - Sounds like your motor has been sitting unused for a while, so wouldn't be a surprise if the carb(s) might be in need of a good cleaning.

G Martin

Recruit

Thanks, will do a through cleaning.