honda B F 50 impeller

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice
Looking down at the impeller , are the vanes canted cw or ccw ??<br /><br />also if you remove the themostat should it not pee<br />at start up?<br /><br />tx for help it is much appreciated ken

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: honda B F 50 impeller

Kenwitt,<br /><br />Best way to be sure is to rotate the propeller on the lower unit in the forward direction. The impeller vanes should point the towards the direction the shaft is turning. (IE If the shafts turns clockwise, then the vanes turn clockwise also...)<br /><br />As for the telltale, it should still pee with or without the thermostat.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just grab the driveshaft and spin it clockwise(viewed from top) while putting housing over impeller.

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice

NAVIGATOR.. OUTBOARDGUY'S METHOD WOULD HAVE VANES TURNING OPPOSITE TO YOUR METHOD???<br /><br />SHERMANS REPAIR BOOK AGREES WITH OUTBOARDGUY.<br /><br />PLEASE VERIFY TX KEN

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The downside of installing the impeller on the shaft is that on this unit and many others the water pump housing is sealed by an o ring and as you twist that housing over the impeller the o ring can go wongo.Better on the o ring sealed units is to turn the impeller into the housing counterclockwise,as you look at it from the bottom of the housing ,slide both down the shaft and over the key.The last part may take a little patience as the impeller is not yet off center in the cup.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Kenwitt,<br />We're both talking about the same thing.<br />I guess I wasn't being clear enough.<br />The way the water pump works, the vanes always face toward the direction of rotation of the shaft going through the water pump housing.<br /><br />I recommended turning the prop, (with the lower unit in forward gear) which would then turn the drive shaft going through the water pump. The vanes point towards the direction of rotation.<br /><br />Sorry about the confusion :) It's been a long week!!!<br /><br />Nav :cool:

Skinnywater

Commander

As per my Honda Marine FSM;<br />Check the impeller for wear or cracks.<br />Install the impeller by turning it counterclockwise with the open end of the keyway toward the bottom of the outboard motor.

D

DJ

Why did you remove the thermostat? That four stroke needs all the heat it can get, otherwise it's going to start making oil (unburned fuel).

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice

Many tx to all for your help..took thermostat out to check opening temp. opens approx. 165 degrees.. closes at same temp.<br /><br />NOTE.. NOT HAPPY WITH HONDA QUALITY IN [ NEW] IMPELLAR "QC" CONTROL. OILED UP GOOD.. INSTALLED CORRECTLY!!!!!! TEST STREAM FOR 10 SECONDS..ONLY<br />DROPPED UNIT.. LUCKY TO FIND PIECE OF ONE BLADE..<br />BROKEN OFF..<br />ORDERED HONDA FSM.. TX AGAIN KEN

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Are you aware that you need to tape off the additional water pickup under the cavitation plate when you are running on the flusher?

smiliejp

Recruit

hi ive a 97 bf 50.the pee pipe is very weak when going at 3/4 throttle is this normal and its very weak at low revs when in neutral.only have the engine out few times.can anynoe help.is the impeller on the way out or will a compressed air hose blow out blockage,thanks.is it a big and tricky jod to change it myself