Honda 150 HP Engine

Bobby O

Cadet
Has the engine been out long enough to get any feed back? I'm changing from a 225 Merc Carb. to the 4 banger.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 150 HP Engine

I've got a few of these engines out there.One of them is on our shop chase/fishing boat .Great engine,smooth and incredibly fuel efeciant[sorry about the spelling].Now comes the catch.We have one out there in commercial use that works 40 + hours a week and encounters more in that week than most users will give it in a lifetime.The engine runs flawlessly but Honda tucked many of the electrical niceties way down in the front part of the lower cowl ,near all the shift and throttle linkage.I,ve seen a failure and it is no fun trying to troubleshoot in there.

Bobby O

Cadet

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm changing twin 225 with the 150's. The twin 225 had more power than the boat needed. I hope the loss of hp will not be too great. Weight was the consideration. My boat could not handle the heaver 4 stroke larger HP.

jrod8v92ti

Seaman

from honda largest american customer<br /> here's my 2 cents<br />-yes its a v-tec but honda still uses tappets on 2 vlvs , the shim n bucket vlv only gets used in mid to higher rpm range(thus v tec).<br />-the powerhead falure rate on the 115/130's, due to gaskets, casting or what ever the bean counters decided makes me wonder how much product development did this new engine really get before being pushed into production? keep in mind yamaha and suzuki had already issued press releases on there new v-tec engines prior to honda saying anything about the 150.