Honda 10 hp lacking power

WBcaller

Recruit
I recently bought a Honda 10 hp on a 14' Mirrocraft. I was told it was a 1991, blue paint, yellow propeller, grey engine. Block has (197 cm3) B100S1600430 stamped on it.<br /><br /> First time out it was slow, RPM's stopped about a 1/4" past the start position so I still had 3/4 to 1 inch of throttle. Linkage was fine it just won't rev. Took the carb off and cleaned it, wasn't very dirty when it was removed. Put it back on and ran it in a 55 gallon drum while on the boat and it ran great in all throttle position. Plugs were put in last year and it idles fine and runs fine.<br /> <br /> Back out a second time and it was slow! I was told being a four stroke it should be like a 7.5 two stroke, this is running like a 2 or 3 hp. It just can't get the RPM's up. And this is a fairly light boat, no decks all aluminum. <br /> Timing belt? <br /><br /> :confused:

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 10 hp lacking power

You will need to do an overall health check on this engine.Compression,ignition output,valve adjustment,is the gearcase ok?This is no 91 engine.

WBcaller

Recruit

Thanks Hondon. From an earlier post those colors sound like an 80's motor. I ordered a manuel from this site, hope it will help.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You can't tell much from running it in a drum unless you have a test wheel on it. It may be that you are over propped. Pull the cover on the engine and verify that when you move the throttle lever to wide open that the carb butterflies are all the way open and the ignition timing advance linkage is up against the wide open stop. If the engine is running on all cylinders, compression tests OK, and its not starving for fuel you should borrow a prop with less pitch and see if it improves.

mcmurray101

Cadet

Hello WBcaller.<br /> I am also suffering the same ailment with my 1978 BF100 motor as you. All linkage is working fine but there is no difference in speed (or RPM's) at WOT than there is at 1/3 throttle. <br /> Does anyone know if WB ever resolved his problem?<br />Any thoughts would be appreciated. Art

mcmurray101

Cadet

Hello WBcaller.<br />I am also suffering the same ailment with my 1978 BF100 motor as you. All linkage is working fine but there is no difference in speed (or RPM's) at WOT than there is at 1/3 throttle. <br />Does anyone know if WB ever resolved his problem?<br />Any thoughts would be appreciated. Art

welbeb

Recruit

Hi 7-Mile <br /> No I have not fixed the problem yet. I am going to change plugs and check the carb again if that doesn't do it I am going to let the dealer go over it.

welbeb

Recruit

In responce to jimd's reply. My motor is a 1988 CDI and has electronic advance, I put a light on it and it is advancing.