HONDA BF 50 1997 TILT TUBE

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice
HOW DO I REMOVE THE TILT TUBE , WILL ONLY COME OUT 1/3 OF THE WAY. ROTATES FREELY WIL A PIPE WRENCH..<br /><br />NEED TO REPLACE CABLE AND TILT TUBE.. <br /><br />TV HELP IS APPRECIATED KEN

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: HONDA BF 50 1997 TILT TUBE

Tilt tube?<br />kenwitt, are you talking about the power tilt assembly(pump and hydraulic ram)?<br />Or the Gas assist damper?<br />I'm not seeing a cable here, unless your meaning a wire harness to the pump.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

So ,what is stopping that tilt tube from coming out? Sometimes removing the cable or the tube cable combo ,requires that you unbolt the engine,and move it away from the transom.Is that what is happening?Also when that tube exits one half of the transom bracket,the other half is bearing all the weight and will naturally bind a little.Have someone lift ,push ,twist ,pry ,whatever at the skeg or bracket and while this is cominig apart try to slide something about the same size in after it to aid in reassembly.

kenwitt

Seaman Apprentice

TX HONDON <br /><br />THATS THE ANSWER .. I BLOCKED UP THE SKEG BUT APPARENTLY NOT ENOUGH TO TAKE THE WEIGHT OFF THE TUBE!! I FEAR MOTOR COMING OFF!! <br /><br />WILL HAVE PIPE READY TO SLID IN FOR SAFTY ...<br /><br />TX AGAIN KEN

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The real fun is going back together.Same philosophy ,just be more careful.Inside the journals that tilt tube goes through ,are flanged nylon bushings.If things are not going smoothly and you start beating things in place you will break one or more of those bushings.Not good.Things should slide in with a little light tapping.