Tohatsu remote steering/throttle conversion

victorjohn

Cadet
I have a 2002 Tohatsu 15hp 4-stroke that I want to convert to remote control throttle/shift and steering. I now have all of the hardware. I have the center console, remote contol box, drag link assembly and parts galore. Unfortunately, the instructions on how to make this conversion are terrible. The dealer I purchased the hardware from included a booklet that seems to address the throttle/shifter but says nothing about connecting steering. Even these included instructions are very poor. I contacted the Tohatsu manufacturer and they faxed me an exploded schematic that helps a little more but is still not enough. I may just resign myself to taking the boat to the dealer and let them do the installation. Does anybody know where I can get a good set of installation instructions for this? Or would I just be better off to let a pro do it?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu remote steering/throttle conversion

Hello,<br /><br />Let a dealer do it. If you get the shift settings wrong you will tear up the lower unit.

victorjohn

Cadet

Hi Elvin,<br /><br />I did let a dealer do it and I'm glad I did. There's no way I would have been able to do it. Even the dealer said he ran into some trouble, so I'm sure it would have been 50 times worse for me. In fact I even had to take it back after the dealer did the conversion, because the shifter linkage came undone inside the motor and the throttle was set too high. Probably money well spent considering what the alternative might have been.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

When the Japanese build/design an outboard they give zero consideration to anyone ever changing the model type. IE shortshaft to longshaft, hand tiller to remote. Apparently in Japan no one ever converts an engine. At least that's what I've been told by Japanese engineers who stare at me with a blank look when I complain.