B100 - Impeller Housing Removal

chique2016

Cadet
This is an old thread but I have a B100

I have followed the above but my impeller housing will only come up about 1/4 inch , and the drive shaft is wider than the impeller because the drive shaft narrows.

It looks like the only way to replace impeller is to take drive shaft off

How is this done , I have not been able to obtain a service manual

Thanks in advance

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
chique2016 Your new thread by moving the post out of an very old thread.

The vertical shaft slides off the pinion shaft and then the pump housing can be removed according to this diagram from boatinfo.no. During reassembly the mating surface of the vertical and pinion shafts should be greased.

b100.PNG

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If drive shaft doesn't want to come down due to being stuck, will need to insert a wooden/plastic different height wedges one at a time between middle and lower part till lower leg fully drops. Slight grease connection, upper shaft splines, whatever, when asembling back lower leg.

If shaft doesn't want to align fully in inside lower crank shaft, rotate flywheel CW while pulling up shaft till aligns fully in. (Only if it's a one piece long drive shaft unit)

Happy Boating

Last edited:

chique2016

Cadet
I have the bottom section separated , but now cannot get the drive shaft off to change impeller

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Usually all drive shafts stays attached to lower leg, need to remove impeller housing side bolts and pull it upwards. Does it turns sideways freely on shaft's axis when shaft is retained with hand ? If stuck apply W40, let soak and remove.

Happy Boating

chique2016

Cadet
The shaft is wider than the impeller housing , and impeller housing will only move up about 1/4 inch , it seems as if it is coming across obstruction on shaft itself 100_1639.JPG

chique2016

Cadet
The shaft turns fine and actually the impeller looks ok, but would be nice to be able to sort the problem of putting a new one in , and greasing the pinion / shaft mating , not sure how hard to try and get shaft off , so only tapping lightly

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Someone who knows how to service well that Honda model should chime in for clarification. All OB's that work with have same diam drive shaft throughout the whole extension of the shaft.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

This is a two piecer. The vertical shaft (driveshaft) fits over the pinion shaft in the lower unit. There is no way the female section of the vertical shaft is the same size as the male pinion shaft that the impeller and pump housing slip over.

chique - You need to soak the heck out of the joint between the two shafts. I don't know what rust dissolver solvent is best for this. Seeing the rest of the lower unit, salt has done it's best to fuse this into a solid unit. Heat can't be used since the pump housing is non-metallic, unless you are planning on replacing the housing.

chique2016

Cadet
Ended up having to destroy impeller housing to drive them apart , it would never have soaked off , at least now I can order seals and gaskets , and impeller housing , and finish installing a new impeller pump :)

GA_Boater

Ended up having to destroy impeller housing to drive them apart , it would never have soaked off , at least now I can order seals and gaskets , and impeller housing , and finish installing a new impeller pump :)

Was heat the final solution?

Clean up the coupling joint between the vertical and pinion shafts and grease it. Don't fill the cavity completely or the two shafts won't seat. Same with the upper end of the vertical shaft, light greasing.

chique2016

Cadet
I think the solution was getting access to the joint , without that I didn't stand a chance , not sure how much heat came into it as it was still very difficult after heat , thanks for advice about grease

Lots of corrosion from just above the seal below the impeller , and the impeller had to be ground off on two sides

Last edited:

chique2016

Cadet
No Title

Having difficulty locationg an impeller gasket with 2 cutouts like the image I uploaded , all the BF100 diagrams I have looked at show the impeller cover ( not the impeller housing) as being obsolete see part 3 and 4 below

These two cutouts are below the impeller cover , part 5 in diagram below

The gaskets now available have only one cutout that look like they span the two holes beneath the impeller cover

I have found some BF100 diagrams with both gaskets displayed ( the two cutout one is above the single cutout) but there is no price and is showing as obsolete , and boats dot net have no price listed for it

Do you know if this is going to be critical having these to cutouts in one?

Attachments

• photo253201.png
    photo253201.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253202.png
    photo253202.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 0

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Wouldn't seem like that would be an issue... they both pull water from the same strainer area, correct?

GA_Boater

You need to try someone showing that they have the parts - iBOATS! I would call 1-800-914-1123 to verify that the warehouse does have the parts.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I'm just curious... what creates the seal between these two parts of the housing?

honda_water_pump.jpg