Honda 100 impeller question

Duncan Hastings

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I just bought an older Honda 10 hp outboard that is not pumping water. I need to change out the impeller. I have no manual and the serial number plate is missing. Can anyone tell which impeller to order?<br /><br />Also, I have read some of the posts on removing the lower unit. Mine has a rectifier in the way of removing the pin to release the shifting rod. I wasn't quite clear on one comment about counting the number of turns to release the shifting rod. Is there something other than the little pin that needs to be removed?<br /><br />Any thoughts appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

baeamy

Cadet
Re: Honda 100 impeller question

Hi,<br /><br />I just rebuilt an older BF 100 so I may be able to help. <br /><br />If your engine is blue (shaft), yellow (propeller), grey (engine) and white (hood), it is in the 80's era. There is a serial number punched into the engine block - if you are facing the engine from the front it will be visible just under the fly wheel, above the gear linkage. <br /><br />Clymer makes a useful shop manual for Honda motors from 2-130 HP ranging from 1976-1999, issue number B757.<br /><br />In terms of the impeller, just take the existing one to the parts store and they would be able to match it, or if you find the serial number on the engine block, they will be able to match the right part. <br /><br />To remove the lower end, you need to remove the "shift linkage connector" which is located on top of the "shift shaft". Basically, it sounds like you know where this is located. You need to remove the rectifier by removing the one bolt holding it down (use a 10mm socket). Then remove the cotter pin from the rod that holds the "shift linkage connector" to the shift lever. You have to unscrew (counter clockwise) the "shift linkage connector" completely off the "shift shaft" to be able to remove the lower end. This is easily done when the gear is shifted in forward - but you may need to remove the arced piece with the roller on it to be able to completely move the shifter out of the way. I was doing this with the engine removed so I had complete clearance. <br /><br />I send another message after this one since I'm running out of characters.

baeamy

Cadet

When it comes time to replace the "shift linkage connector" keep the shift lever in forward and screw the "shift linkage connector" all the way down. Then turn it back 4 1/2 turns, put the shift lever into neutral - the holes should line up to get the little pin back in. You may need to back the "shift linkage connector" up or down a 1/2 turn for the holes to line up. Put the pin and cotter pin back in when the holes line up. Then shift into forward - the drive shaft should not turn counterclockwise; in neutral the drive shaft should turn freely both ways; in reverse the shaft should not turn clockwise. <br /><br />Remove the bolts holding the lower unit to the drive shaft housing. When the unit drops out the drive shaft may come with it, and the shift shaft will come with it. The water supply tube is attached to the top of the drive shaft housing and won't drop out. <br /><br />Now for the potentially bad news. It may not be the impellor. The lower end units, where the impellor gaskets mount to, are notorious to corroding out. If the lip has corroded away the impellor just gushes the water into the drain and not up the water supply tube. If this is the case, you need to replace the whole lower end, which is very costly new. You can try to find a used one like I did after three tries and still had to do some minor repairs. <br /><br />The best advice I got from this site is to get the manual - which has paid for itself countless times during my rebuild. The only complaint I have is that the schematics are poor in terms of piecing parts back together, so pay careful attention to the sequence of washers and bolts, and which end is up, etc., when taking things apart. <br /><br />Hope this helps, and have fun.

Duncan Hastings

Recruit

Your instructions are great! Thanks. I will try it out today. I am guessing your "bad news scenario" might be possible as the whole lower unit is pretty pocked from corrosion on the outside.

Isabelle

Recruit

We have our Honda motor apart and can't find where the impeller is. The Manual we have is no help. Can you describe where the darn thing is? We have a 1985 BF75A. Thanks. (Have parts all over the patio.)

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

It is located at the seam between your gearcase and the middle exhaust housing,way down low,nowhere near the actual engine.

MurphySox

Recruit

Baeamy

Thanks for the help although my bolt was a 12mm not a 10mm
I have a problem..I purchased an impeller at i-boat they told me I needed part 18-3245 well it's the wrong one. The blades are far too big. Does anyone know the correct part #? Motor is 1985 BF100

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to check the boats.net website. You can check for the correct parts by engine number. They have an exploded view of your outboard.
Nick

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

That is a Sierra #and they can be unreliable.The Honda #for the impeller kit is 06192 881 c00.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, when removing the shift shaft connector, it much easier if you fashion a "hook" from some wire coat hanger to make it easier to turn. It is pretty tight in there!

MAS