honda cooling

lloydeth

Recruit
Hi everyone,<br />I am very green when it comes to outboards.I have a honda 9.9 and was told i must have a constant stream of water passing through the motor.The water was there to start with but on a recent trip kept drying up.At times it was running out the outlet then it was spraying out eventualy it dryed up or dripped out.please could someone help me as i am dieing to get back out there.<br />thanks.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer
Re: honda cooling

What year is your Honda? I have a 1985, and I had to change out the thermostat because it was all plugged up with salt and corrosion? It could be your impellor if you ever ran the motor without any water to the pump.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You say the telltale stream was running out, then spraying out, then drying up. That brings a mental picture of a garden hose flowing, then spraying as a thumb is put over the end, then stopping if the thumb is big enough and strong enough to block the opening. So, I think the pee hole on your engine, or the tubing leading to it, is clogged.<br /><br />Run a wire (a plastic tube from a spray can of WD-40 etc. works well) up the hole to clear any blockage, or take the tubing off the fitting and clean both out. If you've determined that the pee hole and tubing are clear, then go tear into the engine and look at the thermostat, impeller, etc.

Dexfish4

Recruit

Hi, I am in the process of changing water pumps in a Honda 100, it is a ten horse.I think a late 70's model. I will try to make this short. I have had the same problem with the intermintten water flow over the years.My engine has not been used in years. The first place to start is the cooling manifold on the port side of the engine.Under there you will find the thermostat and probably some plugged passages as was mentioned earlier.While in there you might as well replace the thermostat. My lower unit has never been off and there was nothing wrong with the empller.My tube from the pump to the block was plugged where it goes in to the block. I hoped some of this helps. Does anybody out there know where I might find used parts for a honda ten horse?