2001 honda 50 hp..

bigtrout

Recruit
i purchase a honda 50 hp 4 stroke outboard motor with tiller, the problem i am having with this motor is after i run it for a few hours or minutes sometimes longer or shorter depending the conditions i am in{usually downrigg with it]the motor will start to sputter and miss and eventually stall,now the plugs are new,carbs been<br />adjusted separately,good clean gas,properly stored in winter {fog}and after awhile it will run good again without any problem like this ever occuring it like nothing happens,on initial<br />start up i let it warm up for 5 to 7 minutes, does any marine mechanic out there ever experienced this kind of problem, the one over here where i lived never heard of this problem, and keep saying change the plugs the plugs that goes in this engine are NGK-DR7EA. if you have an answer please send it to me,fishing season is here again and i hope i could get this problem rectify soon.... thank you for your time and consideration concerning this problem.... <br /> mike Bigtrout....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2001 honda 50 hp..

Howdy, BT.<br /><br />This forum is for Merc troubles.<br /><br />I will move this to Honda troubles.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :)

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

BigTrout,<br />Have you tried changing the fuel filter? If its dirty, you will experience the problems you described. Remove the filter and see if you can blow air through it. If there is any resistance, then replace it.<br /><br />When it starts to sputter, squeeze the primer bulb and see if smooths out. If Bulb is flat, then the tank may not be venting properly.<br /><br />Let us know and we'll try to figure it out for you :) <br /><br />Nav :cool:

kellaig

Seaman

Big Trout,<br /><br />I have had similar problems with idling. Please check your base idle rpm's (900 rpm in gear). If it is set to low it will run alright but eventually it will begin to cough and splutter stall on you. <br /><br />Regards<br /><br /><br />Kellaig