Honda 2 HP 4 stroke age?

Das Boot

Seaman
Hi All; <br /><br />The saga continues with my little used Honda 2 HP.<br /><br />Out for a cruise this evening and noticed that there is no apparent difference in either engine speed or boat speed (it's a 12 foot wooden round bottom rowboat) past 3/4 throttle opening.<br /><br />In other words full throttle dosn't speed the engine any more than the 3/4 setting does.<br /><br />Has this carb a "fixed" high speed jet?<br /><br />Could it be a prop pitch/boat thing?<br /><br />Another thing i ran her dry of gas and upon refilling the engine it would'nt start, i rowed ashore and removed the float bowl and generally tinkered with the carb, put the bowl back on and sure enough it started, i wonder what that was all about, i did fiddle with an adjustable jet screw but i suspect that is the idle jet, by the way it idles right down real nice.<br /><br />Seeing i live in Honda "hinterland" i thought i'd ask here<br /><br />I'm not even sure of the year of the motor here is a pic
20045233881092984727784.jpg
<br />any ideas folks?<br /><br />Thanks;

Das Boot

Seaman
Re: Honda 2 HP 4 stroke age?

Hi All;<br /><br />Came close to answering some of my questions when i found this Honda user manuals on line<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />Now if i could just find a free downloadable shop manual or parts book (always was a dreamer :D <br /><br />Seems my engine is air cooled but the exhaust is water cooled, i don't seem to be getting a water stream from the outlet, the intake and pipe are not clogged.....is there an impeller in there somewhere in the lower unit to pump that water up the tube?<br /><br />Thanks

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, there is a water pump impeller in the gearcase.<br /><br />Presuming that you've checked your fuel tank's fuel filter and that it is not clogged, then your inability to start until after fooling with the carburetor indicates that you should probably clean/overhaul the carburetor.<br /><br />There is a fixed jet, as you put it, but fuel flow is dependent on the position of the throttle plate in the carburetor. Regarding whether there is a difference in boat speed between 3/4 and full throttle control setting, you'll need to know engine RPM at those settings to determine if the engine is operating at it's maximum power or if you need to go to a lower pitch prop. If the engine is operating within the WOT band specified in your newly discovered manual, then that's the fastest you'll go with the 2 HP on that boat. If it's running at less than the WOT band, then you can gain a little more speed by going to a lower pitch prop and thus allowing the engine to run at a higher RPM.<br /><br />Good luck.

Das Boot

Seaman

Thanks pchonda for your very informative reply.<br /><br />I contacted the nearest Honda dealer and we determined my motor is a BF2AH circa 1987<br /><br />Believe it or not i have found a downloadable parts catalogue here: web page <br /><br />So looks like i'm pretty well on my way to understanding this engine.<br /><br />It's been a steep learning curve..... <br /><br />Just so you guys don't think i'm a total mechanical Neanderthal i drive and maintain an old British Land Rover Defender 4X4 :D