2004 honda 20hp electric start

stanstv

Cadet
anybody having trouble with automatic choke system-seems it goes from fast idle to regular idle without any taper then it stalls out and have to restart a few times before runs normal.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2004 honda 20hp electric start

I'm not sure about the '04 model, but the older models used a choke solenoid. This is an on-off device like it seems you're experiencing. When the choke switch is turned on (or in some cases the ignition switch is turned to 'Start'), the solenoid gets power and closes the butterfly plate in the carburetor to enrich the fuel/air ratio for an easy start. As soon as the choke switch is turned off (or the ignition switch released to the 'Run' position), the plate opens and the fuel/air mixture is then controlled by the throttle setting. In these older models (and maybe yours too), you had to keep the RPM up until the engine got warm using either a separate idle speed lever or the throttle control (with the shift function disengaged, i.e. drive/propeller in neutral). So what you're experiencing seems to be normal, just that you've got to manually keep the RPM up yourself until the engine gets warm.

stanstv

Cadet

dealer says normal - but i still think the system should be better than this. thanks for the reply - i've got about 12 hours on it now - i'll get some more hours on it and see what happens its just a pain in the neck if the wind is blowing in against you.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an EFI Honda, so no concerns like you have; just turn the key and go. A friend has two carbureted Hondas with separate idle speed levers and choke switches at the remote control stations. His procedure is to lift the levers to set a higher than idle RPM, hit the choke switch and then start, one engine at a time. Each starts instantly with the choke on, then runs at the higher than idle RPM after he releases the choke switch. He runs them at the slightly higher than normal idle RPM for maybe 30 seconds then pushes the idle speed levers back down, and the engines run smoothly at normal idle speed. Only then do we cast off from the pier and head out.<br /><br />If you do likewise and not cast off until the engines are warm, then you won't be affected by any wind. If it takes more than a minute or so for your engines to warm up/run smoothly, verify that your idle RPM is not too low when warm. Good luck.

stanstv

Cadet

no can do - no choke switch at controls - if bring manual idle speed up will not start at all -auto choke has to be off for idle lever to work.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

My mistake. Talked to the friend with the twin Hondas this morning at the marina and he does not have a choke switch, just a choke position (all the way up) on his idle speed lever. Seems that you should be able to use the idle speed lever on your engine to raise your idle RPM until your engine is warm. Doesn't your owner's manual say something like the below?<br /><br /> Idle Lever to Warm Engine <br /><br />It was a beautiful day out on the water here today. I hope you can get the kinks out of your engine's operation so you can get out and enjoy your boat too. Good luck.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

O-wow. That link I posted should have been directly to the BF20 owner's manual which shows a drawing of the control binnacle and describes using the idle speed lever during warmup. Either the '04 models are not the same as in the manual or by chance do you have a non-Honda control station :confused: ? If you have a non-Honda control station, then you'll have to figure out how that thing controls the choke and idle speed. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

First of all ,the dealer that delivered this engine to you should have made sure that this sort of thing did not happen,that your idle speed was properly set,and advised you as to break in and intial maintenance.My bet is idle is set too slow.