130hp Honda Lower Unit Servicing...

BrianW

Seaman Apprentice
Gents,<br /><br />I drained my lower unit oil a couple weeks back, and noticed some 'milkyness' to the oil color, but not too bad. I just drained it again tonight, after putting on about 20 hours, and it's gotten worse. Darn near pure 'eggnog' this time around.<br /><br />I was planning on changing out the water impellor this week just as a preventive measure (I run onto the beach quite a bit.) Since I'll have the l/u (lower unit) off anyhow, I'd like to get some advice on what seals I should be looking at replacing. I've got a factory service manual, which is good for instructions, but shy on troubleshooting.<br /><br />Plus, any words of wisdom on changing out the impellor whould be much appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 130hp Honda Lower Unit Servicing...

hello<br /> I just did one the other day. the marina owner bought the sierra seal kit. it had the wrong prop seals. one was the correct seal the other was not.<br /> it is a simple unit to do. the 130 lowers are very similar to a merc.<br /> no real speacial tools are needed.<br /> just remember that unlike a merc the seal lips all point out. I did not like the sierra kit. not only was one prop shaft seal wrong it was missing a dran screw gasket. the honda drain/fill screw gaskets are tissue thin and cant be reused very much before leaking. I try to replace them every time.<br /> good luck and keep posting

BrianW

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks rodbolt!<br /><br />I went ahead and did it today. As you stated, it's no big deal. I followed the manual, and got a bit of advice from the Honda guys where I bought the seals and impellor. They did not have a kit, from Sierra or Honda. We just looked at the diagram and picked the correct seals. We missed the lower gasket for the water impellor, and I decided to change the shift rod seal too, so I had to go back to the shop once for extra parts.<br /><br />I wanted to change out the water seals on the prop shaft, but the techs at the shop told me that unless they were damaged, they probably weren't the seals letting the water in the gear case. They told me the two water seals for the impellor were the most likely source of water intrusion.<br /><br />I've got it all back together, and will refill the l/u tommorow and install new seals on the drain and fill plugs. Then I'll run it a few hours and see what happens.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> shoulda done them all. I would have done a pressure vacum test to tell then replaced all the seals and been done with it. I hope it works ok for you<br /> good luck and keep posting

hey,<br />would it be possible to get the phone number of the honda parts place you are using? thanks

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can get you Honda parts-we're a dealer :cool: