Starter Solenoid '88 60HP Tohatsu

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice
I recently replaced my starter and starter solenoid on an '88 60 HP Tohatsu (used parts). Now, when I crank the engine, it has a hard time turning the flywheel. If I try to crank it for more than a few seconds (5 or so), I can see smoke coming from the starter solenoid. I suspect that I have a bad connection somewhere and am thinking about replacing the battery cables. Is there anything else that I need to be concerned about? I know that I have not completely fried the starter solenoid because it will still power the starter and turn the engine over. If I am patient with it, it will fire up the engine properly. Suggestions are welcome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Solenoid '88 60HP Tohatsu

I think you are on the right track, Zacros.<br /><br />The majority of "starter doesn't work right" problems are caused by poor connections in the starter current circuit and/or bad cables.<br /><br />Try disconnecting and cleaning all connections first. You may have a pleasant and inexpensive surprize.<br /><br />Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

As JB said, remove and clean ALL the connections from the battery to the selonoid to the starter terminal. Failing that, jump from the large post coming from the battery at the selonoid to the large post going to the starter at the selonoid and see if it cranks OK. If so, selonoid or connections are bad. If not, starter would be suspect. Make real sure your battery is in top shape with a full charge, too. Any used parts can be considered suspect...

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice

Did a little more investigating last night and found that the ground was fairly corroded. I also tried to start the engine a few times, then felt the battery cables and noticed that they were very warm. These cables are likely 14+ years old. It makes since, I have had to replace all of the other electrical wiring on the boat (lights, electronics). I guess the engine wiring is next. I am going to replace them today and see what happens. Thanks for the help and the advice.

zacros2020

Seaman Apprentice

Got it working today. I replaced the battery cables and the engine fired right up. Should have replaced those cables first, it may have saved me a lot of money.