Honda 7.5 HP Long Shaft, 4 stroke CDI

SMHe

Recruit
Well, now that I have my big motor ready for the lake I embarked on repairs to my kicker fishing motor noted above. At the end of last season it would not go into gear. I pulled the prop off, and found that the shear pin had indeed sheared, came out in 3 pieces, this would not have been too bad except that part of the pin appeared to have gotten wedged in the bushing surrounding the shaft and all around the bushing was<br />corroded away, looked really strange----like it had been that way awhile.<br />It was a used motor when I bought it two years ago and the area around where the shaft sticks through was white, crusty, degraded metal. It appears there is a rubber seal inside, but what I thought was a bushing appears to be part of the housing cap that I removed. On the back side is the bearing inset into the housing cap--------the bearing feels and looks OK. It looks like I probably need a new housing cap and bearing assembly, any ideas where to buy on the i-net--------any place that I can look at a parts diagram without having to purchase a full repair book??<br />Apprecaiate your thoughts and help on this one.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 7.5 HP Long Shaft, 4 stroke CDI

Bottom line is/was did this thing hold pressure or vacume.You have now torn into it without knowing.Replace the o ring on the bearing carrier and reinstall it then pres/vac the gearcase.Any water in that gear oil in the first place?

SMHe

Recruit

It did have water in it when drained which is why I pursued taking it apart. I have located the parts necessary to change out the assembly and hope to install this weekend. Question-------you mention checking press/vacuum ? How do you do this? I planned on just replacing the bearing carrier, bearing, O rings and seal. Then just put it back together. The shaft looked good, but did not do any mic measurements.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

There are several places this , and all ,gearcases can leak.More likely on this one ,a driveshaft seal.Need the pressure/vac!