Honda BF8A won't idle!!

malcolm turley

Recruit
When I throttle down I can't seem to get the engine to idle speed without it stalling. I have tried backing of the idle screw and adjusting the pilot screw like it says in the manual but I still can't get the revs down enough to shift gear safely. I checked all the linkages they seem to be fine. I'm not sure if I have an electrical or carburettor problem or both ???<br />This problem came on real sudden, one day the motor worked fine the next it would cut out if I backed the throttle down to the "Shift" position.... :eek: :eek:

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda BF8A won't idle!!

My buddy had the same problem start on his 15hp Honda today. After trolling for several hours, he ran it at about 3/4 throttle for about 5 minutes and then it would not keep running at trolling speed w/o working the throttle. I am betting you and he both have a piece of junk stuck in the card jet. I am a diehard SEAFOAM fan. I told him to get a can of SeaFoam and mix a strong solutition and run it in the engine to see if it will clean/disolve the junk than is trapped. Just my 2 cents worth.<br />I also run a 15 Honda for a kicker, so will be watching for solutitions.

malcolm turley

Recruit

Thanks for the tips guys.<br />I finally pulled the carb. off and ran a whole boat load of cleaner throught it. That seemed to do the trick. According to the manual there is some kind of low speed pilot circuit in the carburetor that must have been blocked. <br />Engine idled nicely in the tank, and I could shift gear and let it idle in gear. Everything was running fine then a horrible squeeking noise and it siezed up ! :mad: <br />I guess God really wants me to buy a new motor, (thats what I'm telling the wife anyway......)! ;)

ymh60

Recruit

My 2001 BF8A just died because it won't idle and then one of the exhaust valves broke and dropped into the chamber....anyone need BF8A for parts?

Smeaton

Recruit

ymh60,

I would sure like to buy the intake manifold from your BF8A, if you are willing.

larryedwards@gci.net 907-747-3101 (Alaska)

-- Larry

I had trouble with my engine not starting at all well, stripped carburettor several times, checked ignition, compression etc etc. Once running it would be OK it was just getting it started. For a while I used butane (lighter top-up can) in the carby to get it to start but this was clearly not satisfactory but it worked.

I finally stripped the carby again, and cleaned out all the jets and passages again, but this time I used the butane can to help and found the one passage I had not cleaned out was the air bleed to the emulsion jet. For those that don't know this is a little hole under the plastic inlet horn that takes air and mixes it with the fuel in the jet tube (the long brass one). This ensures better atomisation of the fuel. I blew this out, put it all back together and it runs like a dream. I was getting to the point of giving up and buying a new one, but it is running so sweet now :)