1992 nissan 5hp submerged! worth rebuilding?

phatmanmike

Captain
my sweet, loving , awesome 1992 nissan 5hp fell off the back of my canoe and into the lake. long story short... i took it comp[letely apart and the main crank roller bearing is stuck, ive gotten everything else freed up and moving like silk, except the lower main crank bearing(the one with all the round rollers inside it, look like balls)..is it possible to get a new crank and bearings for this beast<br />, or is it not worth it cost wise... any feed back from you guru's would be gratly apreaciative... i loved this motor, it ran like a bear !!!

85merc200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 nissan 5hp submerged! worth rebuilding?

i say fix it cant cost that much for the bearing, mabey 30 bucks max. call kenyon powerboat in tampa on tyson street and get the service dept.<br /><br />btw: i have a 5hp myself and if you decide to sell, let me know i can use it for parts.

phatmanmike

Captain

thanks for the advice, avalonboats in tampa quoted me 13.33 each and about the selling, i think you should let ME know when YOU sell :) that nissan was the best running tiller motor i have ever operated.. bar none check them out, strcitly nissan/tohatsu smaller motors and parts they have a ebay store, named "Internet Outboards USA"

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi Mike, <br /><br />Sorry to hear about your Nissan, You get attached to them little motors. Tell me though, how did it fall off your canoe? I just ask because I have the same set up on my 17' Discovery Sport Canoe. Did the mount just loosen up on you?

phatmanmike

Captain

the throttle was stuck open( i didnt check first, i know ) on the tiller arm... and when i was in canoe and started it it went W.O.T on me and started flipping up in the air and flip /spin twice before it hit the water.. i guess it may not have been tight enough.. but i swear, motors arent supposed to fly.. are they

Drowned Rat

Captain

WHOA! It sounds like that thing is alive. Was it in reverse too? I'm surprised it started in gear. Anyway, good luck rebuilding. :)