Accessing steering (pivot) tube honda 35hp

fish hed

Cadet
Any advice on how to access and clean the steering tube on my outboard- the easy and cheap way? I have put off this task for too long and need to get the motor turning freely before i can put in my new cable and helm. When I tried to grease it just came out of the top bushing. Have also tried degreaser, wd40, etc to penetrate in there to no avail. Should I just put the torch to it to loosen all the gunk up and go with it or is that just ignoring the problem? Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Accessing steering (pivot) tube honda 35hp

Remove the steering cable from the tilt tube then run down to the parts house and get a 3/4 inch flexhone and a jar of cutting oil.Put the hone in a drill and go at it one end after the other with plenty of oil and rags.You really can't get carried away.Then clean the whole mess up with three squares of t.p. sent through that tube over and over until they come out clean.Clean up the cable and put her in and you are good to go till next time.

fish hed

Cadet

Sorry Hondon- The problem is actually inside the Swivel case- from manual. Steer cable and helm are off the boat. I tried greasing the case through the fitting but it would not take the grease- just comes out of the top bushing. Tried degreaser penetrant etc, and worked the hell out of it with no success. Understand heating may work some but really just a temp fix. Without pulling the powerhead can i gain sufficient access to get the gummed up mess out and swiveling properly? Thanks again

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> look and see if it has a steering tension adjustment bolt in the case. if it is the bushings in the swivel bracket it will require powerhead,lower unit and exhaust housing removal to access it. this means removing the engine supports once the power head and lower unit is off to remove the steering tiller assy. its not a fun job and grease is a lot cheaper.<br /> good luck and keep posting

fish hed

Cadet

roger that rodbolt<br />Finally quit raining today and got my new helm in. Im going to break out the torch tomorrow to see if I cant loosen up whatevers binding up the swivel case. Yea i took the tension screw out completely and tried to get some lubricant in there with no success. Hope I dont have to tear everything apart just to clean it out. The zerk fitting to grease the swivel case is at the bottom part of the bushing and when I try to grease it it just comes out of a rectangular hole forward of the zerk. A while back I tried to find a zerk to fit in where the tensioner screw is but none would fit. Does the hole where this tension screw go access where I need to get some new grease. Thanks a bunch for the info.

ak waves

Recruit

hello, i am going through this same problem with a honda 50, i realize that you posted this a long time ago but i am curious if you ever found a solution? i could really use some advice.

i have soaked the pivot with penatrating oil, every time i walk by i spray it and push it form side to side. it has gotten better but is still too stiff. i did find a zerk fitting for the steering tension screw hole, did you try that? did it help? i am really hoping to not have to totally take apartthe engine to get to the tube....

thanks