eggnog in lower unit 5hp nissan

85merc200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
motor is late 80's 5hp<br />short shaft<br /><br />bought used few days ago, well today i went to change the lower unit oil and milk/eggnog came out, i know this is deffinatly not good most likely water getting in, or or perhaps the oil was last change many many years ago, <br /><br />lower unit removed i had noticed the milk stuff was comming out (very little though)where the shift rod goes into the gears<br /><br />what is my next step to rectifi the problem ?<br /><br />how much will the seal kit cost ? (motor came with service manual)<br /><br />i "flushed" it out with gear oil, put some new oil in and ran it, i'm gonna look at the oil tommrow,<br /><br />This is a kicker motor that will not get used much. thanks in advance to your responce. and excuse my grammer and spell errors.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: eggnog in lower unit 5hp nissan

First thing I would do is to replace the seals on the drain/fill screws and try it again.

Seal Kit should cost around 30 bucks or less. It consists of an O ring housing seal and a shaft seal that will require a special tool to remove properly. You might want to try changing the gear oil before you go through the ordeal of breaking down the gearcase in case the seals are OK. It is possible that someone put the wrong type of gear lube in the lower unit. Some of the older types for the electric shifts had a caramel color. My NS5B requires GL-5 80-90 gear lubricant. I found this at autozone ranging (depending on brand) from 2 bucks to about 8 bucks. <br />Or, you can buy some "high dollar" gear lubricant from your outboard dealer.

85merc200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just some archive info, i droped off my 5hp motor and was quoted 200 us dollars to replace all the seals, it should be done in a weeks time,...