Nissan NS90-A: Lower unit oil has water

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
OK guys...I searched the web looking for Lower Unit Vent/Fill gaskets for my nissan, and can't find them anywhere.<br /><br />Anyone have a source for these things online? I would prefer to order them off the net and just wait a few days rather than waste my lunch hour trying to find a boat dealer that carries them in town, and marks them up 50%. <br /><br />I went to change my lower unit oil, and what do you know? Looked like a Broccoli milk shake!! Not good!<br /><br />I did notice that neither one of the vent/fill plugs had a rubber gasket around them, nor did the holes that they came out of. I think there MAY have been a little bit of sealant around one of the holes, but it could also be just the paint, hard to tell when it's all oily.<br /><br />Needless to say, I have water in my lower unit and need to find out where it's coming from. I assume that since there are no visible fill/vent o-rings, I should try that first.<br /><br />So, where can I get O-rings for my vent/fill plugs on my 1995 Nissan NS90-A?<br /><br />One good thing...The oil that hadn't become a milk shake did seem very fresh, with minimal use. None of it smelt burnt, if that matters. Smells like fresh gear oil. I also didn't find any shavings or chunks of metal.<br /><br />I will install the new O-rings (once I find some), and run it at the lake for a day. If it still has water, then what? I want to try and do it all on my own if it isn't too complicated. <br /><br />Let me know what you think.<br /><br />If a picture of the oil will help, I can get one.<br /><br />let me know<br />Thanks!<br />Shawn

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nissan NS90-A: Lower unit oil has water

BRADY'S MARINE<br />435 E. Mitchell<br />San Antonio, TX 78210<br />Ph. (210) 532-4204<br />Fax (210) 533-4778<br /><br />Store Hours: Mon. thru Fri. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.<br />Saturday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Still Learning,<br /><br />I appreciate the help. I have dealt with them a few times, and they usually have a very rude elderly lady working the parts counter that I'd prefer not to deal with. They are my only local Nissan Dealer, so I decided I would try to find the seals online.<br /><br />Instead, I went to a boat repair place and the tech. gave me a few different types of o-rings/gaskets to try for free, so it worked out good!<br /><br />Any idea what the 'WASH' port does on the lower unit? What can you wash out?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Shawn

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice

West Marine has them. They are the same ones as for Nissan/Tohatsu/Yamaha, and probably Suzuki. That's the funny thing about those Japanese Manufacturers, they seems to share lots of info with each other when it comes to design. So, you can buy those gaskets with confidence, they will work just fine. Now, do you have a west marine near you?

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, I already got them from the local boat shop. He also said that Nissan/Tohatsu/Suzuki/Yamaha would all work.<br /><br />I re-filled and installed them just minutes ago.<br /><br />Hopefully they will keep my oil nice and water tight...if not, then I've got trouble elsewhere.<br /><br />Shawn

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "wash" port can be used to flush the motor. Muffs are easier for me as you have to tape the water intakes to use the port.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I figured it had to do with flushing the motor...but I wasn't sure how you could connect water to that little bitty port, unless they supply a fitting when you buy the engine new.<br /><br />I never run it in salt, but I usually run it for a few mins after I get home anyways. I'll just keep using the muffs, no sweat.<br /><br />Shawn