Older Honda BF-100 starts then dies.

Tominator

Recruit
I have an older Honda BF-100 outboard (1982, 9.8hp). I haven't used it for about six months (ran fine then). Now, when I try to start it, it starts OK with full choke and runs with about 7/8 choke but the moment you try to push the choke in any further, it revs up and then dies. I've tried mucking with the air screw -- no effect. Tried cleaning out the carb with spray. No effect. Cleaned the fuel filter. No change.<br /><br />If I carefully hold the choke at about 7/8 (out), it will run (pretty well too). But again, the minute I push it in, the engine revs up (like it does normally when getting more air) and then just quits.<br /><br />Any ideas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Older Honda BF-100 starts then dies.

What happens if you pump the primer bulb while this is going on, Tom? If that gets it to run right you have a weak or failed fuel pump or restriction in the fuel supply somewhere.<br /><br />If that does not help you need to dismantle your carb and clear all small jets and orifices.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Tominator

Recruit

The primer bulb stays firm meaning there is pressure to the fuel line. I suspect you may be right about the carb needing a thorough clean.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

check the vents going to the carb and make sure they are not clogged. This is what happened to mine. I rebuilt the carb five times before I found a spider had crawed up a vent pipe to the carb and clogged it.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

What did you do to it when you put it up for the 6 month storage? If you just shut it down and did not use any product like sta bil ect. and pull the fuel line and run it dry and then drain the float bowl I would say it would be a good time to pull the carb for a good scrubing. A onunce of prevention is worth a hour of scrubing ;)