Tohatsu oil pump and tilt trim

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br /><br />I have a 50 HP Tohatsu M50D motor and would like to disconnect the oil pump and go to mixing the gas & oil. What is the proper procedure? Someone thought oil might be needed in the pump at all times to prevent damaging parts.<br /><br />Also, the tilt trim jerks especially towards to top. I drained it and put transmission fluid in it, then cycled it up and down, with and without the top plug in. It was impossible to get the pump exactly vertical but almost. What can I do to correct this?<br /><br />Thanks a lot. Bob

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tohatsu oil pump and tilt trim

I'm not sure if you can just disable the oil pump or if you need to remove it and cap the opening. On your trim&tilt question, I would open the bypass valve and make sure you can pivot the motor easily by hand.If the reservoir is even close to vertical it should top off OK.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tohatsu oil pump and tilt trim

I got some more oil in the tilt pump and it is doing better. <br /><br />I also ordered a Clymer manual through the library which seems to be the only one made. Had it once but not impressed. It might solve the oil pump problem though. Thanks.