Honda BF225 Lower Unit

Alaskantech

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone run into any problems with the gear case on the 200/225 Honda's? I just repaired a BF225A3XXA that had a pinion gear split in two. There were no signs of impact on the lower leg and the owner had the original case replaced four months ago due to noise in the lower unit. He was told it had a bad gear, pinion I assume. This motor was converted to counter rotation by the original dealer at the time of purchase. This boat has Mathers Microcommanders and the boxes are mounted in the bow, 32' cables starboard and 34' cables port. I know that Mathers likes to keep the cable runs below 20' and no more than 270 degree bends. Could this long run be a problem? These motors are sequential serial numbers and the starboard motor has been perfect. They have been in service for 9-10 months and have about 500 hours each. Honda has covered everything under warranty and the owner is happy. I, on the other hand, need to know what caused the gear to fail. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF225 Lower Unit

I am a Honda tech as well. I have not had these failures,with three units in service,but please keep us posted. What is Honda saying?

Alaskantech

Seaman Apprentice

Hondon,<br />Honda covered the new lower unit under warranty. My dsm had not seen or heard of any problems with pinion gear failure either. They just wanted to get it fixed and make sure the customer was happy and back on the water. They sure make it easy to keep your customers happy. The owner has made several more trips on the boat and everything is doing great. I still have no clue on what caused the failure, but will get back to you if we find a root cause to the failure. We have sold a bunch of these 225's up here and all of them are running perfect for us. This boat is used by a commerical fisherman that does charters in the off season, so it gets run hard. If it can fail, I'm sure he will find out. I'm not sure if we deal with the same dsm, but Honda sure does stand behind the motors. Thanks for the reply and happy Hondas to ya.......Scott

ROBO4647

Recruit

do you have any advice on changing the oil in a BF225a lower unit? I'm sure it simple to a tech like yourself, but I have just inherited the boat and woul d like to get some "hands on" to become familiar with the vessel. All pointers would be appreciateed..thanks..RB

gss036

Commander

NO! Probably to just get your attention to tell you that it is rude to jump into some one elses' thread and you need to start your own. You will definately get better results. (-;