How often to replace impellor on Honda 90?

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The scheduled maintenance list in my user's manual has no mention of replacing the impellor. How often should this be relaced?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How often to replace impellor on Honda 90?

The conventional thought is to replace every two years, but we fussy dudes do it annually.<br /><br />Keep in mind that it is not so much usage as it is time that makes them brittle and prone to fail.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I'm glad to have read this post, mine is still the 1999 original. Any idea how much a standard time or rate is to have it changed? Easy to do at home for someone with a fair bit of experience on the same job on much older andd smaller outboards?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> those 90's used a basic merc "big foot" gearcase. if the bolts come out then 1.5 hours per engine is a safe bet.I recommend every other year. once a year for high usage in sandy waters. always remember this. the price of the pump is the same whether you buy pistons or not. good luck and may you never "NEED" a water pump.

Hawaiian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt, do you know if a 2002 model Honda 90 uses the merc "big foot" gearcase? I thought only the older models used it.