40hp tohatsu prop shaft

gmaninak

Recruit
managed to run into a couple sand bars & now I am in search of a prop shaft for M40 C. Does anyone know if I could find one used. The dealer up here is not to helpful in even finding a new one for me. Also when I replace it how difficult is it going to be. Right now i've spent $120 for a new prop, been quoted $275 for the shaft & $95hr labor to change it. At this rate I might as well look for a new used motor.

craw

Cadet
Re: 40hp tohatsu prop shaft

Dont buy a new one unless the old one is totally stuffed. They are easy to remove and straighten. <br /><br />1 - Drain the oil<br />2 - Remove prop<br />3 - Remove the two bolts that hold in gears (not sure exactly what model you have).<br />4 - remove gear assembly (if no manual be careful to note orientation)<br />5 - Remove prop shaft from gears (leave clutch attached)<br />6 - Take to engineering workshop, where for a few bucks they will straighten it for you.<br />7- Re-assemble, fill with oil and go fishing.<br /><br />The whole process is quick, simple and cheap. I have an 18 Tohatsu which I have repaired twice so far. <br /><br />craw