Honda BF225 4 Stroke Trim & Tilt Binding

Travelinman

Recruit
My Honda BF225 has 41 hrs. The Trim and Tilt is binding where the right and left stern bracket meets the movable swivel case. The movable swival case has what looks like two arm/stops that slide past the stern brackets. Both items are painted and the manual does not call for these pieces of metal to be greased. The paint is rubbing off and it makes a loud groan when tilt/trimming down. A Honda rep inspected the unit and suggested this is normal and to "just put grease on all four points". This will work for maybe one or two trips, then more grease must be applied. I think the guy from Honda may be blowing me off. Parts are illustrated in the Honda Marine Shop Manual page 14-6. Any Suggestions? Thanks, Don

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Honda BF225 4 Stroke Trim & Tilt Binding

Travelinman: This is interesting. Because I just bought the 130 back about the forth of July and its got about 40 hrs. on it and its doing the same, I think. I haven't talked to my dealer about it yet though. I think were talking about the same parts that the paint is wearing off of. There's a bolt at the end that comes across both outside brackets on the outside of the transom. Which I think the bolt is the motor stop and the two brackets that are on the motor, slide down on the inside of them outside brackets. Is that correct. And they have the paint wore off on the ends on mine. Does that sound right on where the paint is wearing off on yours? Or does the 225 have a different setup. Mine doesn't make the sqrenching noise all the time. Its like when it does it I'll run the motor back up and down and it'll quit doing it after about 4 or 5 times. (By doing this am I recentering the motor) I'm not sure if the water is suppose to lubricate it or what. But you know I had it out of the water this last weekend and ran the trim up and down and watched how it slide in between them two brackets and there actually looks like there is clearance between them and that they shouldn't hit or touch each other at all. But will have to check it out a little closer this next weekend and see what it is actually doing. Also mine does it on the tail end of the trim stroke when going down. But I know its real embarrising in the marina when it does it. Because it sounds terrible and its loud. I'm wondering if when I tilt the motor all the way up and the motor tilts to the side it somehow gets off center and thats why the two brackets hit and rub. And once it gets centered you don't have them hitting and of coarse they don't make the noise. Because if your going to have cast or metal rubbing against each other grease isn't going to do much good for very long. I don't think they should be rubbing at all or less they have a different kind of material such as a pad of some sort if thats how there locating it. Stand behind the motor and run it up and down and see if you have clearance between them brackets. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll check with my dealer up here and see what he says.

Travelinman

Recruit

To: On Last Cast, Looks like we are talking about the same thing. There is no bolt involved as far as the metal rubbing together. It is the inside of the two stern brackets and the outside of the two tabs of the swivel bracket. The clearance between the two is so small that you cannot see any. The loud noise occurs more on the downward movement. I don't think a $15,000.00+ engine should be making ANY funky noises. Honda and my dealer seem indifferent to this problem. Please note that all pivot and contact points that are supposed to be greased are. Thanks, Don :confused:

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don: Has the dealer and the Honda Rep. heard the noise. Because if they have I don't think they would say that 's normal. There is something wrong. Mines up on the river and I was kind of hopeing it would keep doing it because then I would bring it back home to the dealer. Because I know what he's going to tell me about the paint wearing. (that's normal) But the noise is diffently not. But I know that I'd probably drag it back and it wouldn't make the noise. You know maybe Hondon would know something about this. You know something else we might want to check is to see if its low on fluid. I just happen to think of that. I'll keep in touch. I'm heading for the river in the morning and I'll do some checking this weekend and see if I can figure something out and get back to you next week. A little R&R.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I'm having a little trouble with the desription of where these noises are coming from.If you are getting noises at the point that the two trim rams meet the swivel bracket,some noise there is a normal thing for all manufactures.This is an outboard and not Dads new Mercedes.If this noise is from the motor cycling, that is also normal as air passes through the system . In either case you likley have hydraulic steering.That means things where installed onto the TILT TUBE , of your engine and may have been over torqued.

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hondon thanks for the quick response. No don't have power steering on my boat. Its really hard to explain the noise because like I said it doesn't do it all the time. The noise that the tilt, trim usually makes going up or down or even when you bottom out when going down. Them sounds are all normal. But every now and then when its in the trim stage near the bottom it will make one hell of a high pitched groan or squelling noise. It'll actually scare the heck out of a guy when it does it. Very high pitched sound. I'm sure you can hear it quit aways away. It's not a normal sound that any outboard would make. But not real sure if its coming from the metal actually rubbing against each other or if its coming from the tilt and trim motor or pistons. I would think if its going to do it it'll either get worse or wear in. Maybe its from being new. I don't know what to think. I was just kind of wondering if you had ever ran into this kind of problem before. If me and Don got the same problem I'm sure there's more out there. Like I said earlier I'll do some checking this weekend and see if I can figure out whats doing it. Thanks again.

jdenton

Seaman Apprentice

I just put the first 40hrs on my new Honda 200, and have the exact same problem. The paint is only coming off the driver side of the motor. I just got it back from having post break in maintainance this morning. I told the motor dealer about it and as I figured, he could not make it make the noise out of the water. He thinks it is a design or assembly issue and is going to contact Honda about it and follow up with me. It happens to mine only when I am trimming down from about 3/4 down to full down at idle speed preparing to go open throttle. The dealer says the driver side of the motor is the side the motor is force to due to prop rotation and makes sense to him since this is where the paint is scraping off. He thinks it is a design issue or possibly lack proper shimming at assembly. I will keep you all up to date on his response from Honda.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks J. for a little better look at where this noise is coming from.As I understand it you feel it is in the area in which the swivel bracket and the transom bracket fold into each other as this unit trims in.Correct?I,ll buy that ,hav'nt seen it but I'll buy it.If that is the area of concern for you gentlemen I will fly this dilema past my own district service manager ,who I happen to have very good relations with, and see what answers we can come up with.

Travelinman

Recruit

Hondon and One Last Cast, The Honda rep did not hear the noise when he inspected it. He did however acknowoledge that he had heard of this on both Mercury and Honda. He grabbed the outboard in the 1/2 tilted position and jerked it a few times. I had put 2-4-C grease all over the 4 contact points. 2 days later the thing started groaning again. Hondon you are correct the contact point is where the two brackets fold into themselves. Looking at the outboard from the back, the bracket on the left seems to be wearing more than the right but both have paint missing. I would be glad to e-mail a photo. I love this engine so far but the bracket is a problem. Thanks again, Don

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys now mine is just missing paint on the drivers side or standing behind the motor and looking at it on the right side. There's nothing rubbed off the left side. But it is correct mine just does it also when your trimming it down getting ready to take off. Never has done it when your out running. Now it did it a couple of times this weekend but not consistly. And I'm kind of wondering if its not shimmed right or something. It's rather annoying when it does it.

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Joe I guess I should of read your post a little closer. But you couldn't of explained it any better. Mine is doing and wearing exactly the same. Bob

jdenton

Seaman Apprentice

Just got back from a 4 day muskie fishing trip on madison chain. The motor done the same squelling noise every time I trimmed down to take off. This is going to have to be looked into. I am calling my Honda dealer tomorrow. I will keep you posted on the results.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone missing their cat?