Starter pull rope on Honda BF100

gnair

Recruit
I've just completed replacing the starter pull-rope on my Honda BF100 (model was the last year they made it). The engine starts fine but there are faint noises coming from the starting assembly after the motor is running. It sounds as if the pawls are not completely re-seating in their assembly and are intermittently clicking against the rim in which they engage during the starting pull.<br /><br />I have pulled the assembly and reassembled it twice but am still getting the sounds. What am I doing wrong?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />Garyth

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starter pull rope on Honda BF100

How much fun did you find that repair and how long did it take you?Honda offers those units new and they are well worth the price .I fix these engines for a living and have a very hard time getting one of those starters together in less time than it would be to justify just replaceing it.Plus the ones I have put together have mostly come back.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter pull rope on Honda BF100

You can try coating the pawls with grease.Hondon has a valid point but not all of us have a decent Honda marine parts source handy.