Honda 50 HP Oil Leak

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am experiencing a slow oil leakage from the crankcase drain plug on my new Honda 50HP. I have replaced the crush washer and tightened the drain plug as much as I dare to, but still after running, it leaks about a teaspoon of oil which eventually runs down the lower end. The dealer where I bought the motor wants it for 2 weeks to look at the problem (it is boating season) and he is busy. Has anyone else experienced and / or corrected this problem? Am I overloking something obvious?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 50 HP Oil Leak

This would fall under the unusual heading.Are you certain that the leak is at the plug?When did you you notice this profound drippage? Is this engine actually using more oil than it did before?Is it possible that this oil is from a sloppily done oil change?It is easy enough to tell if the drain plug is leaking.Remove the cover , clean the area up spic and span , then put a piece of tissue paper under that spout.Soaked with oil overnight ,you have a leak.

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good suggestion..I did almost as you suggested when I first discovered the leak. The area was spic and span and within 3 days there was oil. That is when I drained the engine, cleaned the plug area and checked for rough spots and reinstalled the plug with a new crush washer. It stayed clean for several days until I ran the engine again and within 2 days there was more oil.<br />I am sure that it is leaking and just wondering what a dealer can do to correct it? The motor only has 11 hours on it.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would try wrapping the plug threads with Teflon tape or use a good pipe dope compound.

Skinnywater

Commander

I also like the idea of discovering the cause firsthand.<br />It's usually the fresh engines that will have strange problems. It is'nt very hard to drain the oil again. This time I'd get a magnifying glass and check for cracks and uneven sealing surfaces of the sump and plug.<br />Here is what I've done to locate cracks. And bear in mind you'll have to use common sence and judgement in your decision. By appling heat to the area of a suspected crack will cause oil to wick out of the crack. If you were to clean the area spotless again and safely use a disposible lighter to momentarily heat up the suspected area and watch it with a glass, you'll likely find the exact source of the leak.<br />While a sealer or teflon tape may work in the meantime as an emergency or temporary repair, I've not had to use tape or sealer for my BF50's three oil changes.<br /><br />However, whatever you find, keep us informed as to the cause.

Skinnywater

Commander

I thought it might be prudent to add. If you are inclined to apply heat like I mentioned.<br />Do it after you cleaned the area and before you drain the oil or open the sump.<br />Factor into you judgement that there is fuel inside your carbs 18-20 inches away.<br /><br />Dang! on third thought! While I'm very aware of my capabilities and limitations, I don't know yours. I shouldn't have even mentioned this crack finding proceedure at all!

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After a day of fishing today, I checked the area and sure enough there was OIL.. Since it is a new motor and I don't want to do anything to void the warranty I am taking it to the professionals (Honda Dealer) tomorrow to have them FIX IT! I will post a note when I get it back to let you know what the problem was and what they did to correct it. Thanks to everyone for the inputs.. I do appreciate the ideas. DD716TED

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Honda dealer inspected the drain plug seat on the oil pan and sure enough, it had a defect on it. It was scored from the center to the outter edge and permitted oil to pass around the crush washer. As directed by Honda Marine, they are attempting to resurface the seat, and if that fails, they will replace the entire oil pan on the engine.

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The dealer "Tom's Outboards" in Olympia resurfaced the seat and I have run for hours since then without a problem. It appears as though this was a one of a kind problem.