Honda 9.9 fouled plug

cabelaman5104

Recruit
This '98 engine has been my workhorse for trolling. This past trip it began vibrating at idle. I decided to replace the plugs and I noticed that that one of the plugs as severly fouled with oil fouling at the tip and you can see oil around the treads.<br />Is this the beginning of a major repair????<br />Should I be looking at a valve seal issue or an oil ring issue?

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 9.9 fouled plug

is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke . 2 stroke doesnot have valves or oil rings . prolong idling will cause this . you need to run wot some to clean it out . or git a 4 stroke .

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Did this motor just come out of storage? Ive seen cases where small hondas are stored in improper positions, oil leaks into a cylinder and on first fire up, itll foul a plug. Do a compression test first, just to be sure. Toss another set of plugs in there and run it. See if it fouls again.

cabelaman5104

Recruit

No, my boat is stored in my garage and the 9.9 honda kicker kept on the boat in a vertical position.<br />I changed the plugs and I'm planning on fishing this weekend. Hopefully the new plugs will make a difference. Thanks for your input. It's appreciated very much.