Honda 8 hp trolling too fast

bigbull

Recruit
I just recently bought a new 8 horse Honda long shaft for my Willie drift boat. The model is BF8A3LA and the serial no. BZBC-1700351. I'm going to use this motor mostly in the river. The motor starts and runs good, but it dosen't troll slow enough in the lake. What can I do to slow this thing down? I haven't played with the idle yet.I was told if I turned the idle down to much the oil pressure light would go out. I realy don't want to put a trolling plate on it. One marine dealer told me to switch props to slow it down, two others said go with the trolling plate. From what I've heard I would gain more rpms switching props. What would this do to the overal performance of my drift boat? Is there a chance I could over rev my motor? <br />I would appreciate the help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda 8 hp trolling too fast

I dont know your motor in particular but all<br />motors are sensitive to too many rpms,premature<br />wear and failure can result.<br /> Youll need to know your recomended wot RPMs .A tiny tach will help determine where youre at, they have a web site.I believe a 2 inch change in pitch will result in about 400 rpm change.<br /> Find out what rpm it should idle at.<br /> You may be able to lower it.Trimming all the way out may slow it a little.<br /> Not an expert but it sure seems an 8 horse would idle slow enough to troll.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can always use a drift sock to slow you down. THe poor man's way is to drag a 2 or 5 gallon bucket behind the boat.

bigbull

Recruit

Thanks for replying to my post. You would think that motor would troll ok. My frined told me I should have bought a Mercury. I'll get a book on that motor, and figure out if the idle is set right. I'm all too familer with the five gallon bucket trick. :( My Dad had to tow two buckets behind his ski boat to troll for salmon. He finally put a trolling plate on it.

Forktail

Ensign

Willie drift boat? 8hp is way to much for trolling. I can oar one of those boats up a 10 knot current...with 2 others aboard. Very little drag. The 5 hp would be a better bet, and the 2hp would troll the best. :D

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

For some reason, people believe a four stroke should idle at 400-or 500 rpms so that they can troll at their favorite/perfered speed. They will idle ALL DAY LONG at the prescribed (proper) idle speed, but A Honda's correct rpm at idle is about 800 rpm. Yes, you may be able to lower that idle speed but to what extent??? It wasn't made to idle down too low, even though you may want it to!! Different prop selection may help. Also, the reasdon you bought the 8 hp was the twin cylinder design. It runs much smoother than a single cylinder motor which will "vibrate" substancially more than the 2 cyl. However, the single cyl engines are lighter than the twins. So the first question is... What are the proper rpms of the motor at idle?? and what are they supposed to be??

bigbull

Recruit

Forktail, <br />Those boats do row sweet. :D My old wood drift was a slug compared to the Willie. You are right on 5-2 horse for trolling. I have a 3 horse Evinrude that my grandpa gave me. That little thing will get down there and chug..chug along. The Evinrudes hard to start sometimes. The motor is probably a early 70s and dosen't have a revers. I took the Honda out Sunday on my buddys sled backtrolling some plugs. On our way back up river my frindes 115 hp Mercury blow up! :eek: The little Honda saved are butts pushing his 18.5ft sled. I don't know if he will rebuild that old Mercury. I heard that it's going to cost four grand to fix it.

2Lancet

Recruit

I use a Honda 8 hp on a 16' Alumaweld Guide Model drift boat. At first it trolled too fast. This boat, like a Willie, rows easily. Following my dealer's recommendation I changed to a Michigan trolling prop. But it was still trolling a wee bit faster than I liked, so my dealer slowed the idle just a bit and it's fine now. On his recommendation I increase the throttle speed every half hour or so to wide open or near wide open to clear the oil accumulation from the cylinders, and after a day's use I always disconnect the fuel hose and run the carb dry. I've never had any trouble with this engine.

By the way, a Minnekota trolling motor pushes this boat along very nicely for lake fishing. I use my Honda mainly on rivers and in estuaries fishing for salmon.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I do not know your boat, but my 4hp Yamaha is just perfect for my 14 ft Lund Laker. Last summer I caught the biggest salmon of my life...30#.

I'm guessing that 8 hp is a little much. Seems like someone should be able to design an inefficient trolling prop that keeps the revs up and thrust down!

Sorry, I know this does not help...I guess more salmon for me :)

MAS

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You have an 8A and these engines idle at 1200 rpm +/-50.Farting around with that speed will lead to fouled plugs and hard starting.Propping is an option and a very good one.Since you are using this on a drift boat you are likely seldom at wide open so over rev would not be a concern.Prop choices are a little limited however.